Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone own this SX bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rx jr., Feb 27, 2006.

1. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

rondo discontinued it and I want it!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

please sell it to me :(

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

It's a great bass but it is heavy -- like 12+ pounds.

3. Didn't they bring it back, minus the ashtrays?? I seem to recall a thread about two weeks ago pertaining to SX bringing back an Ash bodied bass... Possibly the P/J version??

-ryan-

4. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    no worries, I'm used to heavy instruments. :)

5. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    no ashtray and no neck binding. not very appealing to me :(

6. It looks beautiful. Have you ever tried it?

7. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    no it's only available online :(:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

8. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    Is it made of swamp ash or that other type of ash?

9. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I bought the lefty version several month's ago so I could steal the neck. I advertised the body here but no one wanted it so I ebayed it and got $5 more than I was asking.:)
    The neck is (as perhaps many SX models are) wider than a fender so it takes a little getting used to but I like the binding just for the fact that it keeps the fret edges off my fingers.
    The body weighed 8lbs. Pretty decent bass overall.
    The lefty neck now recides on my project p/j cuz I wanted reverse tuners:bassist: I wouldn't mind having the righty version if it didn't come with the ash trays since I don't smoke:smug:

10. AngryJason

AngryJason

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento CA
    There *was* one (4 string, and not the p/j version) that was ash, maple neck with pearl block inlays and no ashtrays...but those sold out shortly after the SX SJB 75C's did, which was pretty quick.

11. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    They had a few of these basses hanging on the wall at the store a week or two ago. Right now they have a demo clearance going on, as well. You should contact them directly and see if they have anything in stock ..... limited quantities usually don't get put onto the web site.

BTW, the bass plays great and looks very cool in person ... it is heavy, though ......

12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I have one without the ashtray and white block inlays if you are interested. It's a beauty but I don't need it anymore. Mint.

13. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    They didn't really discontinue it; its just not in stock in teh moment (probalby for the next few months as well)

14. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Not exactly a highjack of the thread, but how is the fretless version of the bass in question? I seem to remember a maple-boarded Jazz 5 SX, and found it interesting. How is maple for a fretless (if I got one, would I want to epoxy coat it, or is it hard enough as is)?

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have the Brice Douglas version that came out a couple of years ago! Can't vouch for the SX version but it's a nice instrument.

16. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    :confused: :confused: :crying: :crying:

17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    They aren't all heavy. Mine is very light.

18. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    bump for the evening crew

19. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

I thought that was an Ibz silver series for a second. :meh:
    Looks good , does play and sound good?

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000