1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anyone own/try a psa-1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, May 7, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    are they good. i hear you can dial fat distortion and still keep a ton of bottom end. is this true?

2. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    My Sansamp TRIAC does. I would assume the PSA1 does too!

3. I own a PSA-1 and it is true! ;)

I've only used it in a poweramp setup with guitar and it sounded awesome.

For bass, I hooked it up with my MicroBass combo and got great results with it. I'm saving for a good poweramp so I can smack it basswise...

The PSA-1 is very versatile and it's a good preamp if you like overdrive and distortion options. No tubes, but I don't miss them :)

4. I'd get the PSA-1:
    • The sound samples at the Tech21 website are awesome
    • Multiple presets easily recalled
    • It can double as a guitar and bass rig with a nice power amp
    • Record direct with great results for guitar and bass
    • Line out to PA with killer tones

5. I've owned a number of Tech 21 units over the past 10 years....but no more. Each was definitely cool, versatile +flexible IN THE STUDIO. Live, the tone is a very different one than you might be used to playing through a "regular", bass-specific head or preamp. I found the PSA-1 to be outstanding for snarly, raw and toothy fuzz/OD bass tones, really something. I ran mine in parallel with a clean signal into my 400+'s two channels which was a plus but maybe not crucial. I was able to cop terrific fuzz/synth tones as well by turning that "crunch" (or "presence"?) knob right off; square waves galore, try it! Ultimately tho', as a stand-alone the box was way to compressed sounding and _really_ did not like "peaky" signals AT ALL such as EV filters or boxes similar. It wants a clean signal, straight from the instrument to work it's mojo the best. I was big into MIDI at the time and loved the unit for anything studio-like (fantastic for that) but live, Sansamp stuff just doesn't do it. This is seriously apparent if you are also using any sort of bass head/preamp with it. the result is like "wearing contacts with your glasses." Ick.