anyone own/try a psa-1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, May 7, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    are they good. i hear you can dial fat distortion and still keep a ton of bottom end. is this true?
  2. jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    My Sansamp TRIAC does. I would assume the PSA1 does too!
  3. I own a PSA-1 and it is true! ;)

I've only used it in a poweramp setup with guitar and it sounded awesome.

For bass, I hooked it up with my MicroBass combo and got great results with it. I'm saving for a good poweramp so I can smack it basswise...

The PSA-1 is very versatile and it's a good preamp if you like overdrive and distortion options. No tubes, but I don't miss them :)
  4. I'd get the PSA-1:
    • The sound samples at the Tech21 website are awesome
    • Multiple presets easily recalled
    • It can double as a guitar and bass rig with a nice power amp
    • Record direct with great results for guitar and bass
    • Line out to PA with killer tones
  5. I've owned a number of Tech 21 units over the past 10 years....but no more. Each was definitely cool, versatile +flexible IN THE STUDIO. Live, the tone is a very different one than you might be used to playing through a "regular", bass-specific head or preamp. I found the PSA-1 to be outstanding for snarly, raw and toothy fuzz/OD bass tones, really something. I ran mine in parallel with a clean signal into my 400+'s two channels which was a plus but maybe not crucial. I was able to cop terrific fuzz/synth tones as well by turning that "crunch" (or "presence"?) knob right off; square waves galore, try it! Ultimately tho', as a stand-alone the box was way to compressed sounding and _really_ did not like "peaky" signals AT ALL such as EV filters or boxes similar. It wants a clean signal, straight from the instrument to work it's mojo the best. I was big into MIDI at the time and loved the unit for anything studio-like (fantastic for that) but live, Sansamp stuff just doesn't do it. This is seriously apparent if you are also using any sort of bass head/preamp with it. the result is like "wearing contacts with your glasses." Ick.