Anyone own/use the Fender Passport PA?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jun 29, 2004.

1. I'm toying with the idea of buying a small PA for the NY Get-together if funds allow.

I was thinking about this one:

1) Do I really need a PA for a room that's approximately 30ft x 70ft?
    2) The Fender passport PAs come in 75 or 125 watts per channel; is there that much of a difference?
    3) Are there any other PA systems you could recommend? (limit $500)

The reason I'm looking at the Fender, is that I heard one in February and was impressed with the system's clarity and compact size.

Would speaking through a 100 watt guitar amp not cut it?

I also assume that someone might sing at this GTG.

Any opinions appreciated.

Mike ;)
  2. The above link doesn't go directly to where I intended, so just click on "Fender Audio," once you're at the Fender site.

3. 1. depends how loud the crowd is, how loud you are, and what the acoustics of the room are.
    probably yes.
    2. yes, only about 50 watts difference. ;)
    seriously, not a whole lot of difference.
    3. I like the crate setups, they are pretty good, plus they have big, cool looking speakers.

my old high school had a passport system, I never used it, but the guitarist i played with used it and was loud enough for what we needed it for. I could keep up with it with my behringer BX1200 as far as volume goes.

4. Hey, superbassman2000, thanks very much for the reply. :)

Last night when I got home I looked in my Fender catalog, and in it Fender says their least expensive Passport system is adequate for a crowd of up to 300. (Wouldn't this depend upon whether the crowd is indoors or outdoors? :confused: )

Anyway, I found a few other systems at Sam Ash of about the same power (80-100 watts) for $300.

I have some time to decide, so I'll do a liitle more research.

Thanks again.

Mike ;)
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

My jazz band has a Passport system. I can check tomorrow at rehearsal on which one it is. I've never heard it, I'm afraid. The guy who owns it prefers his old Peavey column speakers and powered mixer, but I haven't asked him why. Possibly because of the number of inputs? My impression of the Passport system I've listened to at our local music store was that it's fine for vox and acoustic guitar, but light on beef for keys and the like. Not surprising at that power rating, I guess.

I'd definitely be looking at used gear, given your budget.
  6. Oh, one point I forgot to mention: Whichever PA I buy would be used for vocals only, and mostly just for speaking at small functions. Just a small PA so people don't have to yell.

Sorry. :oops:

Mike ;)
  7. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Mike, don't buy a pa just for the NYC gtg. I can bring my PA if we're going to be having singers. If you want to buy a pa anyway, I personally wouldn't go for the Fender. I haven't heard the passport but I have a fender powered monitor that has very wimpy construction, loose knobs, etc. I highly recommend the JBL Eon series, but you'd still need a mixer.
  8. Jondog, I was just thinking of buying a small PA just so people wouldn't have to raise their voices at the GTG. We don't need anything big, but if it's not too much of a problem, by all means bring yours. July 20th we'll do a person/gear roll call at the Get-together thread.

Thanks. :)