Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone own/used/been around "cocktail" drums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have been researching them as a possibility for an acoustic trio, but noone around here has them. Any input?

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Yeah, I own a Slingerland cocktail kit. It's nice because it's probably the only drum kit that will fit in my tiny rehearsal room. The kick will not have the boom of a typical bass drum because of it's size and the heads. The same goes for the Floor Tom. Since the Floor tom and Kick are the same drum, you can't really tune them to make them sound "typical"

Anyway, it sound cool. It definitely works well for practice, and surprisingly well recorded. It will definitely work well for an acoustic trio.

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I wouldn't expect a big bass drum sound, but if I could manage a tight useable sound with the kick portion that would be cool. I have seen the Slingerland kits (musicyo.com,) but was thinking along the lines of the kits that just have the snare wires directly under the top head of the drum. I would probably just use brushes and hotrods for the "snare."

4. thump326

thump326

Apr 30, 2004
    I own yamaha's cocktail set and love it. I never use the snares on floor tom/ kick drum. I don't like how it voices when using the kick drum. The pop corn snare on the side is lovely sounding; like a cross between a coffee can and a shot gun (very unique). I've used it live before and had nothing but positive feed back. It's uncomfortable at first as a lot of weight is centered on your left foot, but you will get used to it. They are great for gigging in small places, and easy to move as they are one piece. Very attention grabbing visually too!

5. thump326

thump326

Apr 30, 2004
    Also, for a deeper bass tone, use an oil filled/ self muting head for the kick drum. Foam muting doesn't hurt either. With proper mic-ing you can get any sound you want from your drums. All this drum talk makes me sad...all my drums are back home (I'm away at college).

6. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo

7. That's cool- I know what they look & sound like, though(my drummer cobbled one together from old stuff he had lying about). My question is does anyone here know if these sub-$300 deals are worth it? Not for full-on gigs, just house jams & practice.

8. JTE

JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I gigged for a while with a guy who played a cocktail set (as well as djembe, congas, bongos, and various other hand percussion). It worked really well for that band, as we were going for a pretty quiet set up.

John

9. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Since I made this post in 2004, I built a mini drum kit using a 16'' floor tom. I use a 13'' brass piccolo snare and a traditional hihat stand. Just a couple of trips to the car for setup. Mic'd up it sounds pretty cool.

10. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    They look hard to play.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The first time I ever saw one was at Disneyland over by Pirates of the Caribbean. Not surprisingly, a Pirate was playing them. They sounded pretty good.

12. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I did a short run of a musical called, "Once on This Island." The drummer played a cocktail kit, and he worked the crap out of it. Between sticks, hands, and a couple of doohickies holding congas, he was a complete Carribean rhythm section all by himself.

Neat looking kit, too, and took up all of 5' x 5' onstage, drummer included.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The only time I've seen them played, it was Peter Erskine playing them. They sounded awesome, although it could have been cardboard boxes and he woulda rocked em.