Anyone owned a 70's Sunn Coliseum? Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babecker, Feb 12, 2003.

1. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I'm looking into getting a Sunn Coliseum 300 watt head and looked up the specs. It lists the power @ 320 watts and the "Load" @ 2 Ohms...Now, here's the question (for anyone who's had one) -- is that load fixed, or can I run the head into (2) 8-Ohm cabs (for a final load of 4 Ohms) without damaging the head or speakers? Even more specifically, how many output jacks are on the back of the Coliseum heads for connecting to cabinets?

Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm not sure how many jacks there are...probably at least two.

2 ohms is the minimum impedance rating. You can use anything'll just get less power out of the amp.

If '70s Sunn gear is anything like '70s Acoustic gear, the Coliseum will be an insanely powerful amp.

I was reading an interview of Chris Squier from a '74 Guitar Player magazine last night and it looks like he used a Coliseum Lead head with two 6x12 guitar cabinets. I find this funny since we seem to be obsessed with multi kilowatt rigs that go down to 30 Hz...

Have fun!!!
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I had a Sunn Coiliseum many moons ago (when Sundholm still made them) and used 2-18 cabs.

Do a search for the "unofficial sunn page" . I went there a while back out of nostalgia. As I remember. they have Coliseum schematics and have a forum for questions somewhere. They used D140's in some cabs, so the speaker thing gets confusing to me.
  4. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I've got one of those and yes, it is insanely loud. Not hi-fi at all, not a lot of deep bass, but it's very effective for stage monitor use or if you wanna sound like early John Entwistle (My Generation)......

I don't use it very often anymore, but I get it out every once in a while just for grins and it always surprises me how loud that thing is.
  5. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Oh....two speaker outs. It'll probably also have pre-amp out and power amp in (mine's labeled "mixer input").