Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone pissed about string prices?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Feb 26, 2001.

1. Anyone pissed that a cheap set of strings costs $16, and the guitarists get away with $3 strings. I cant afford to get new strings, I have 2 basses that are unstringed currently cause I cant afford strings, this is horrible.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Quite the opposite in fact! Having played bass for over 20 years, this is the best time I have ever known for getting a very wide range of strings comparatively cheaply.

Before the internet, it was just a question of what the local shops wanted to stock and what they wanted to charge - very few bass-only shops, so it was mostly like a concession by guitar shops to stock a few sets of bass strings - almost like they were doing us a favour having any at all.

Now I can browse through hundreds of different sets of very high quality bass strings on the internet and they cost about half of what I was paying from local shops - we've never had it so good! :)

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Bruce, I'm curious:

Which websites do you shop for strings at? Most sites that I have checked seem to be US-only, so shippings costs negate any possible saving.

David

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I (and Bruce too, AFAIK) shop strings at www.sheetmusicplus.com. Takes forever for the strings to arrive, but the shipping rates are very low. I got a 5-string D'addario XL set for half off list here in Sweden. I just had to wait three weeks...

5. Bruce Lindfield

I use :

www.sheetmusicplus.com

Look in the musician's shop for a huge range of strings. As an example - before using the internet, I was paying the Bass Centre £46 for a 6-string set of D'Addario Slowounds. But I can get that same set for just under £20, including P&P from SheetMusicPlus! They have also been very fast and reliable - I have made dozens of orders now with no problems.

I usually buy a few things at a time - like books and accessories like tuners as well as strings, but the P&P is always less than £5, so any reasonable order is going to be a huge saving as most things in the US are at least half the price or less of the same thing in the UK !

6. Bruce Lindfield

Well I think this must be down to the Swedish Post Office rather than the vendor - I always get my orders within 10 days. Actually I do believe this is the case - a lot of mail does go directly via Air from the US to the UK, but is then shipped on to mainland Europe, so we get it quicker than Scandinavia, for example. The British PO is probably the best (and unsubsidised!) in Europe, but usually gets more complaints than credit!

But we are in agrreement about half price! ;)

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Like Bruce, I've been at it for a while. Strings are MUCH cheaper now than they were years ago. I can get GHS Brite Flats for about $21.00 now, where I was paying $35.00 for them back in the early '80s. Remember, also, that guitarists usually change their strings more often; the guys that change them every night probably pay far more than you do over the course of a month or two.

8. Bruce Lindfield

I just checked though a few of my orders with sheetmusicplus and the shipping charge is almost always $5 - once it was $8 for an order that contained heavier items. So this is like £2 or £3 and when you are saving half the price in the shops it becomes almost negligible. My bus fare into the town centre and local shops is £1 each way!!

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Could be. I think SM+ "misprinted" my address label. There are different addressing systems in different countries, and when the order of things is goofed up and the labels are read by machine, things might go wrong and the letter might be sent to the wrong city... and then returned... and re-sent...

That said, I eventually got them, and made a great deal. So I'm happy anyway. :)

(BTW, it took 50 days for my Spector catalogue to arrive... :rolleyes: But that was because of the Swedish distributor...)

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Take up string bass!

I just paid $325 for my last set of gut strings :eek:

You need super cheap strings, musicYo has 'em for about $4 a set.

11. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

jhjshfdjjs whatttttt!!!!!!!!!!

how much,, god,

12. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah, but I know some Double Bass players who haven't changed their strings in the last 3 - 5 years - in the same period I have probably spent more than $325 on bass guitar strings!

13. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hate to see you with no strings on your basses. I've got used strings laying around that aren't dead that you can have. Shoot me your address and they are yours.
    Doc

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Gee whiz, tallguy. Guitarists change/break their strings constantly (real guitarists). Most bassplayer I know of change strings in terms of months/per month, (save the Entwistles of the world who have them changed daily). Just the raw materials costs for bass strings are so much higher than guitar strings.

I don't think www.getstringscheap.com has exorbitant pricing. A set of DR's for twenty something dollars isn't much IMO.

The best deal I've seen is www.webstrings.com . Don't let the $11 per set, (5 string is all I've bought from them), fool you. These are good strings. Not in a league with Rotosound/D'Addario/Pyramid, etc., but still, excellent price-value relationship. Hell, Girl Scout cookies are a bigger rip.

Those webstrings are less than a delivery pizza and you don't have to worry about the tip for the guitarist who delivers the pizza. :D

15. I get my Dean Markley SR-2000's for $19.99 a set (4-string) at Mars.

16. BernardJohnson

BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001
    I JUST GOT A SET OF CIRUS BASS STRINGS THIS WEEKEND FROM BILL'S MUSIC FOR $19.59 FOR MY MIM FENDER JAZZ AND THEY SOUND GREAT FOR THE MONEY..........THEY ARE THE SAME STRINGS THAT COME WITH THE NEW PEAVEY CIRUS BASS.

peace BJ

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You're right, but string cost is part of the reason why. Even at discount, upright strings start at about $90 for steel and guts start at about $200. Then if you more than one upright you need to keep strung up...

I once had some Thomastik Ropecores on my bass for 13 years, I only took them off because the windings were starting to unravel :)

18. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - one of the DB players I know said to me that he wanted to change his strings but couldn't afford it - he was looking at £100 - £150 over here in the UK and as he's struggling to make ends meet as a full-time Jazz player/educator it's very difficult to justify this.

Once I start talking to pro Jazz bass players I always end up feeling sorry for them - I gave a D'Addario 6-string set to one guy who doubles on upright bass and 6-string electric - very expensive to maintain!

19. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    String Prices! Hell I'm pissed with the gas prices.
    I wouldnt let those basses sit around with no string tension on them.Does the necks just fine!

20. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I just got a great deal off ebay 3 sets of ErnieBall Slinky 45-100's and 3 sets of D,Addario XL170's for 50 bucks it pays to buy in bulk. thats like 8.20 per set.