1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone play a Baby Blue II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waxcomb, Aug 31, 2003.

1. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I'm thinking about buying a used Baby Blue II. I've tried the 1x10 and it is sweet. How does the 2x8 setup compare in sound? I own a WM's 10 and a Super Readhed so I know the SWR sound. What should I pay? It is advertised at $600. I'm thinking $400. Should I pay $500 if it is mint? Thanks, in advance.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've got a Baby Blue II, with the two 8" Celestions. I love it. I haven't played the 10" version, so I can't give you a comparative opinion. Mine is in mint condition, and I picked it up for $400 used about 6 months ago.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    two speakers ALWAYS sound better than one, to me!

two 8's would probably be smoother, 1-10=78.5sqin of cone, 2-8 = 100.5 sqin of cone! it'll probably sound louder too!

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to see if he'll take $400. It hasn't sold and he's had to repost it a couple times. I may turn him here if he has any qualms.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 2-8" version uses a 5" cone midrange driver for highs rather than a piezo tweeter like the Baby Baby, so it will have smoother high end.

$400 is a steal unless it's trashed. I see a lot of used ones with asking prices in the $700 range.

6. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The Baby Blue is back in the classifieds and I'm back to thinking...I think I want it. He wants $600 for the 2x8 version with a Jan Al case. Is this a good deal? :confused:

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Not sure what that case is...a road case?

If the amp is in real clean shape, $600 is a good price.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I paid $450 for mine last year, used, but in absolutely excellent condition.

If that's a road case that it comes with, its definitely worth the asking price. Check to be certain it has the original Celestion drivers, though.

9. songdog

songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    I got a blem baby baby blue from musiciansfriend.com for 679. I cannot hear or see any imperfections. My local music outlet wanted 920. All I can say is that it is warm and pumps and if I need to I have a 2X10 Mesa cab that will deliver all the stage volume I need ( 160 watts )with a direct out for the front fills. My acoutic and electric basses all work well with this rig. I played the walk about because I have a D 180 mesa head and was not impressed. The swr comes in @ 39 lbs. and delivers better overall bass response in my humble opinion. Later Gator

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Great amp flat and warm. Strange huh?