Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone play a Baby Blue II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waxcomb, Aug 31, 2003.

1. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I'm thinking about buying a used Baby Blue II. I've tried the 1x10 and it is sweet. How does the 2x8 setup compare in sound? I own a WM's 10 and a Super Readhed so I know the SWR sound. What should I pay? It is advertised at $600. I'm thinking $400. Should I pay $500 if it is mint? Thanks, in advance.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've got a Baby Blue II, with the two 8" Celestions. I love it. I haven't played the 10" version, so I can't give you a comparative opinion. Mine is in mint condition, and I picked it up for $400 used about 6 months ago.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    two speakers ALWAYS sound better than one, to me!

two 8's would probably be smoother, 1-10=78.5sqin of cone, 2-8 = 100.5 sqin of cone! it'll probably sound louder too!

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to see if he'll take $400. It hasn't sold and he's had to repost it a couple times. I may turn him here if he has any qualms.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 2-8" version uses a 5" cone midrange driver for highs rather than a piezo tweeter like the Baby Baby, so it will have smoother high end.

$400 is a steal unless it's trashed. I see a lot of used ones with asking prices in the $700 range.

6. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The Baby Blue is back in the classifieds and I'm back to thinking...I think I want it. He wants $600 for the 2x8 version with a Jan Al case. Is this a good deal? :confused:

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Not sure what that case is...a road case?

If the amp is in real clean shape, $600 is a good price.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I paid $450 for mine last year, used, but in absolutely excellent condition.

If that's a road case that it comes with, its definitely worth the asking price. Check to be certain it has the original Celestion drivers, though.

9. songdog

songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    I got a blem baby baby blue from musiciansfriend.com for 679. I cannot hear or see any imperfections. My local music outlet wanted 920. All I can say is that it is warm and pumps and if I need to I have a 2X10 Mesa cab that will deliver all the stage volume I need ( 160 watts )with a direct out for the front fills. My acoutic and electric basses all work well with this rig. I played the walk about because I have a D 180 mesa head and was not impressed. The swr comes in @ 39 lbs. and delivers better overall bass response in my humble opinion. Later Gator

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Great amp flat and warm. Strange huh?