Anyone play a Carvin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gsummer, Mar 13, 2001.

1. gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    I saw a Carvin P-series in this month's Bass player that caught my attention. Anyone have any experience with this model or Carvin in general? Do they make good basses for the money? ($859) Are they an easy company to deal with?

2. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I play a carvin LB-75, its a few years old and doesn't sound all that great but carvin changed alot on the basses since mine was made i guess.
  3. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Yeah man, I have a LB 70, not to sure what model you say you saw, but I like mine. They are well worth the money (in my opinion) Try to find one with the same stuff at a music store and you are going to go well over $1,000. I like mine cause of the string through body, and neck through body design, it is also light-weight. I would try one before you buy though, like I would say with any bass, but I am pleased with mine.

And as far with easy to work with, I couldn't ask for a better customer service department. I also have an amp of their's, and if something ever goes wrong they are usually helpfull over the phone as much as they can be. They will send me stuff if I need it, ex. patch chords for my amp to the speaker, and little tools that the guitar came with if I loose them.
  4. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have a relatively new LB70 model (about 1 year old) with the J99/HB2 pup configuration and I really like it. It has a large mix of sounds it can produce.
    I like the fact that you can "sort-of" customize your bass with them. Their craftsmanship is excellent (I strongly recommend the tung oiled neck option). I will say that my LB70 is a very "bright" bass sound-wise. Any other questions, please feel free to email me

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Last December, I took delivery of an LB75 (the piezos weren't available when I ordered in Nov) and a Cyclops amp. I already had a bigger Carvin amp.

IMO, their biggest positive point is their value. They sell an superbly built instrument for a cost well below the typical market because they don't have an authorized dealer/repair network and field sales force to support.

The J99 pickup is a powerful, excellent pickup in the neck position. But I don't like the big HB pickup I got in the bridge position. It is weak and boxy sounding to me, in spite of their printing "Monsterous Tone" over the picture of it in their catalog.

The construction of the bass and the amp are as good as any I've seen (and that's a whoooole lot). The finish is on a par with, or exceeds, any I've seen in TalkBass threads about "Beautiful Basses."

Carvin service is very "iffy." You may get someone who really cares about customers on the first try, or you may have to make repeated attempts to get taken care of. From my experiences and those of others I've seen around the web, it ranges from unresponsive to bend-over-backwards, depending on how persistent you are to get in contact with the right person. For instance, if you catch the right person and ask for an option for free, say casters on an amp or flatwounds on a bass, they may do it.

They've been at it for 50+ years. so they must be doing some things right.
  6. I have 2 20+ year old LB-50 basses that I play every day, they are my favorites (out of too many basses). I've been thinking about checking out one of the new 'P' basses.
  7. I've had my LB75F for a year now, and am very happy with it. I got the walnut body, 5 piece maple/walnut neck, and the J99/HB option. The fingerboard is smooth and straight- it plays great. For the $$$ I think they are hard to beat.
  8. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I have an LB75:

Pros - sustain, lightweight, fit and finish, construction, decent B, good bridge, good spacing, great neck(get the tung oiled neck, it's the only way to go - super fast!), and it's a joy to play

Cons - electronics, finish on knobs wears away easily, and somewhat limited sound application IMO

I did not like the strings they shipped on it, switch them out to preference. I also do not like the humbuckers they use. Try all pups if possible, but I would prefer two J pups to their S-H configuration. Plus, two J's offer lots of aftermarket drop in possibilities.

Attractive, playable basses, available sounds could be better.
  9. I have an LB-76...the six string...It's a pretty cool bass, but I have two regrets...One: Now, that I wanna upgrade, and possibly sell and/or trade this guitar in, I find that it has very low resale value...Just look on ebay, people have trouble getting decent money for carvins... Two: I got the humbucker in the bridge. I totally hear you on that one rickbass. It sounds boxy and just doesn't do it for me. The neck pickup doesn't really do it for me either!... But I have a feeling that the two J-style pickups would have worked out better. I know it sounds dumb, but I was thinking it'd have a musicman tone - nope. But all in all, for the price I paid, It really plays nice, nails a smooth full tone with both pick-ups on, and is built rather cleanly...
  10. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I've had my LB75 for a couple years now. Been very happy with it.

A friend of mine is about to take delivery of a new LB75P. I'll report back what I hear.
  11. For less than the price of a Carvin you can get a custom Pushic bass built just the way you want it!!
    I have two and they are the best basses I have played at ANY price! And I have owned Fenders, Gibsons and Rickenbackers among others. I have also played on an Alembic which was great but the Pushic is your best value for your money. Checkout
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Drone - Good to hear someone else say it, too. I mentioned this at the Carvin board a while back, and the few responses I got thought I was off the mark. I referred to it as, "the hacking dog."

One response was from a Carvin employee. He didn't identify himself as such, but from his name, I knew it was one of the guys I was dealing with when I had some amp questions. He told me that the engineers in recording studios loved the HB pup!!!I guess so...they sure as hell didn't have to worry about the VU's redlining.

Hopefully, Fed Ex will be showing up today with my solution for this.