Anyone play a P style bass with a J bass neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz5757, Oct 10, 2004.

1. While I enjoy the playablity of jazz necks, overall I love the tone of the p bass best, especially in a live playing situation. For a while at least I believe Lakland was offering the Bob Glaub p with a jazz bass (JO) neck - anyone played one of these? Are there any other options out there? I don't believe Fender offers such an option with their p basses. If I were to build one, I'd like to use a Geddy Lee neck - that's the best feeling jazz neck I've ever played. Any thoughts guys?
  2. kjr

Jan 25, 2003
    I play a Fender P-Bass Special, which has the jazz neck with both the precision pickups and the jazz bridge pickup. When I want to get the precision sound, I just turn the volume off of the jazz pickup. It sounds really good and I love the way that it feels. I also saw that Fender is releasing these now with active pickups, which would be sweet. Hope this helped some.
  3. Mid 70's P-basses were indeed available with a narrow Jazz width. This was referred to as the A option width.
  4. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    I have a P-bass body with a jazz neck. I love it so much. I dont mind p-necks, but the jazz necks are more comfortable and fitting.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My 78 P has a J width neck (1 1/2" at the nut), and I have a 91 MIM P with a MIM J neck.

To be honest I prefer the regular P width neck.
  6. KJR---thanks! I had completely forgotten about those basses---sounds like you've got the best of both worlds---I'll have to check one out!
  7. Apparently Lee Sklar likes the J neck...(and double reverse P p/u's).
  8. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    ya his used to be a P neck but he had it carved down. its a charvel body though :( it is absolutely covered in autographs though. i would only want players to sign my headstock because i would be worried that if they were on the body that it would rub off.
  9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    my washburn p-style has a j-style neck. awesome. :cool:
  10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I haven't played one, but G&L's SB-2 is standard with a jazz type neck with P/J MFD pickups. I would consider it a P-type bass.

11. +1 My main gig bass.
  12. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I have one of these too. Love the neck and the woods; didn't care for the electronics.

So, I rebuilt it with a SD QP and new pots, jack, wiring and shielding... :)
  13. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a Warmoth P body (Korina/Quilt Maple cap) with one of their J necks (all bird'seye), EMG P/J with 18v BTC and it is one of my workhorse basses. Great sound and playability, though I wouldn't mind a bit more access to the higher frets which the P body doesn't allow. Though J's are my favorite all-around shape, I have no problem with a standard P (B) and can even deal with the C on my P Elite II.

Always go with what's most comfortable for you to let your music flow - you shouldn't have to work too hard for that to happen. ;)
  14. I actually do love C necks, it's just that I'm able to articulate my phrasing so much easier on the jazz. I'm seriously considering making my own Franken-Fender and using the Geddy Lee neck---if I can find one---I don't suppose Fender will sell the neck by itself but I'll look into that. I'm also going to check out the P bass Special while I'm at it---looks like people really like 'em.
  15. Lakland does in fact offer the Joe neck on there P basses at least I know the USA models. I'm interested in one myself. There is a real nice Skyline for sale on the site here and it has a J neck. Do a seach for Lakland on the for sale forum. I think it's still for sale. Almost bought it myself but am waiting to sell my 4-94 .. see below

here is the link for the Glaub on the site.
  16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what type of wood is yours made out of?

i think mine is plywood. there are several layers glued together.

and...yeah, the electronics aren't the greatest. but i refuse to alter my first baby!
  17. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Hmmm.... no layers on mine.... and I have a natural finish; I think I would see it....

But it's probably the same stuff. Claims to be a "mahogany", but I think it's more likely one of the Asian "faux" mahoganies, like lauan or meranti....

Still, it gets the sound I need, the neck is fast, and I don't have to worry about it getting stolen...
  18. Thanks for the info Big String - just pm'd the seller - the ad'a last post was about a month ago but you never know.
  19. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  20. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    i built one from fender and warmoth parts, play great and sound incredible.