Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone play a P style bass with a J bass neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz5757, Oct 10, 2004.

1. While I enjoy the playablity of jazz necks, overall I love the tone of the p bass best, especially in a live playing situation. For a while at least I believe Lakland was offering the Bob Glaub p with a jazz bass (JO) neck - anyone played one of these? Are there any other options out there? I don't believe Fender offers such an option with their p basses. If I were to build one, I'd like to use a Geddy Lee neck - that's the best feeling jazz neck I've ever played. Any thoughts guys?

2. kjr

kjr

Jan 25, 2003
    Michigan
    I play a Fender P-Bass Special, which has the jazz neck with both the precision pickups and the jazz bridge pickup. When I want to get the precision sound, I just turn the volume off of the jazz pickup. It sounds really good and I love the way that it feels. I also saw that Fender is releasing these now with active pickups, which would be sweet. Hope this helped some.

3. Mid 70's P-basses were indeed available with a narrow Jazz width. This was referred to as the A option width.

4. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    I have a P-bass body with a jazz neck. I love it so much. I dont mind p-necks, but the jazz necks are more comfortable and fitting.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My 78 P has a J width neck (1 1/2" at the nut), and I have a 91 MIM P with a MIM J neck.

To be honest I prefer the regular P width neck.

6. KJR---thanks! I had completely forgotten about those basses---sounds like you've got the best of both worlds---I'll have to check one out!

7. Apparently Lee Sklar likes the J neck...(and double reverse P p/u's).

8. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    ya his used to be a P neck but he had it carved down. its a charvel body though :( it is absolutely covered in autographs though. i would only want players to sign my headstock because i would be worried that if they were on the body that it would rub off.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    my washburn p-style has a j-style neck. awesome. :cool:

10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I haven't played one, but G&L's SB-2 is standard with a jazz type neck with P/J MFD pickups. I would consider it a P-type bass.

11. +1 My main gig bass.

12. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I have one of these too. Love the neck and the woods; didn't care for the electronics.

So, I rebuilt it with a SD QP and new pots, jack, wiring and shielding... :)

13. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a Warmoth P body (Korina/Quilt Maple cap) with one of their J necks (all bird'seye), EMG P/J with 18v BTC and it is one of my workhorse basses. Great sound and playability, though I wouldn't mind a bit more access to the higher frets which the P body doesn't allow. Though J's are my favorite all-around shape, I have no problem with a standard P (B) and can even deal with the C on my P Elite II.

Always go with what's most comfortable for you to let your music flow - you shouldn't have to work too hard for that to happen. ;)

14. I actually do love C necks, it's just that I'm able to articulate my phrasing so much easier on the jazz. I'm seriously considering making my own Franken-Fender and using the Geddy Lee neck---if I can find one---I don't suppose Fender will sell the neck by itself but I'll look into that. I'm also going to check out the P bass Special while I'm at it---looks like people really like 'em.

15. Lakland does in fact offer the Joe neck on there P basses at least I know the USA models. I'm interested in one myself. There is a real nice Skyline for sale on the site here and it has a J neck. Do a seach for Lakland on the for sale forum. I think it's still for sale. Almost bought it myself but am waiting to sell my 4-94 .. see below

here is the link for the Glaub on the site.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143031&highlight=glaub

16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what type of wood is yours made out of?

i think mine is plywood. there are several layers glued together.

and...yeah, the electronics aren't the greatest. but i refuse to alter my first baby!

17. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Hmmm.... no layers on mine.... and I have a natural finish; I think I would see it....

But it's probably the same stuff. Claims to be a "mahogany", but I think it's more likely one of the Asian "faux" mahoganies, like lauan or meranti....

Still, it gets the sound I need, the neck is fast, and I don't have to worry about it getting stolen...

18. Thanks for the info Big String - just pm'd the seller - the ad'a last post was about a month ago but you never know.

19. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  20. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    i built one from fender and warmoth parts, play great and sound incredible.