Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone play a peavey mark 3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Mar 3, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    anyone play one of these? what do you think? are the warm and punchy? i hear they are real nice and are pretty solid (no pun intended). what do you all think?

2. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I had a Peavey Mk3 and Mk4. The 3 was stolen some years back. I still have the 4.

I never had a problem with either. I toured for years with both. The tone was a bit limited, but I could work with it. I could always get it to sound good. The overall value of the amp was in it's reliability and durability. I had those amps in my early days touring before I could afford road cases. They took plenty of abuse and always came through the next night.

All and all, a good buy. Despite what alot of people say about Peavey stuff, it is sturdy and affordable.

I would like to see an SWR or Ampeg fall down a flight of stairs and still work perfectly. (and i say that with an ampeg as my main rig!)

Hope this helps

3. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I have a Peavey Musician 400, and I think it has Mark III on it somewhere, but I'm not sure. But the thing is as solid as a tank, it fell over a few times, got water on it, and its still kickin, the tone though, was a little lacking. I think it was also the guitar amp model, cuz it had a phaser built in, and 2 channels...but it was mad loud and if it survived a ride in the back of my truck without moving, I'd say its good.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've got an early Centurion series Mark III. Its gets me through. Not very powerful or great tone. Its perfect for rock, but not very punchy at all. The Hartke cab i'm using prolly isn't helping. I've never had any legit problems with it. I'll probably still keep it as a back up when I get my SWR. The dual channels and automix feature are very convenient.

~Patrick

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so id probably want to look into something with a little more tonal options and punch?

6. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    If you are looking for something that sounds good(not great), can take a beating and is affordable, than the Peavey is a great buy.
    For more tonal options, you are probably going to have to shell out a few more clams.....

7. I had a 1978 Mark III Centurion which I sold off recently. Practically indestructible. I found the toneshaping capabilities ok (mine was with the parametric eq on channel A, I believe there's also one with a graphic eq). The head did always sound 70's to me though, that's why I gave it up. Also, in spite of it being loud for its rated 130W RMS, I wanted more headroom......

Bottom line, they're cheap and if the sound and power match you wishlist, no reason at all not to buy one.

Cheers rOdy

8. I used a Mark III and Mark IV some years ago. As I remember, they had a rather harsh (transistor) tone. They were loud and sturdy though.

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks guys. i might get one, but i might run it next tube a hybrid amp and make one dirty and one clean. thanks again.

10. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I currently use a Mark III. It is a usable amp, but it is lacking in good stock tone. In order to get a sound that I am happy with I use a multi-fx floorboard with it & do a little eq tweaking as needed.

My goal is to use it as a back-up & get another amp that gives me the tone that I am looking for without having to use the extra outboard stuff. I wanna keep it simple. My funds are a little limited, though. :meh:

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Used one (Bass Mk III) with a Centurion Mk III for 13 years in a bi-amp set up. Reliable as a tank. Kept my baby in new shoes. Tonewise, they are okay. The newer series Firebass, etc. are far superior in the tone department. If you are into rock and on a budget, go for it! You will always get your money out of it when it comes time to sell.

kim