Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone play a Stick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThePaste, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Hey guys, I was listening to some samples of sick Stick work and I wondered if anyone here has one? And if so, what situations do you use it in?

2. cayoteboy? Did you sell your Warr?

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i play the log occasionally.

jason

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I owned one of the early composite Sticks, tuned in standard Stick tuning, which is 5 bass strings and 5 "melody" strings. At the time, I played in a top-40 band and I was able to use it for several numbers which called for percussive synth bass. I never really got the hang of it due to the way the strings are arranged, though. If you don't know, the bass strings are E-A-D-G-C, tuned in 4ths just like a BG, but the E is the smallest while the C is the largest, located on the inside of the string sequence. The melody strings are tuned in 5ths.

They now make a Stick Bass, which would be more useful to the average bassist, I think. 8 strings, tuned and arranged like a regular bass.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    No, but sale is pending... Questions welcome.

6. What type of music did you use it for? And how much are you selling it for?

7. check out Dream Theater's song "New Millenium." John Myung using a stick at the beginning of the song.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I saw a guy named Greg Howe play a stick at my college's jazz band gig. He was using a bunch of MIDI or synth stuff and getting a whole lotta different sounds out of it. If you can pull it off the stick can probably be pretty useful, but personally I have enough trouble with the bass that I don't need to worry about another instrument such as the stick.

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm always impressed to see a stick player play...to make it interesting, you REALLY have to know your chords and have a good grasp of chord melody...at least for me.

Why interested in one, Paste?

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sometimes, when I am really lonely, and no one else is home............................

OH, you said STICK!!!:eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist.:D:D

11. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Such an instrument isn't restricted in it's stylistic application. The tone of my Warr actually lends itslef to a heavier, thick and percussive style, and the bass output is phenominal.

If the current sale doesn't pan out, then I will post this instrument in the classified.

12. banger

banger

Jun 29, 2001
    vienna wv usa
    Yo i have one and i like it very much it is very relyable and very sturdey .. so yes i like it very much

13. I dunno Angus, I just think they're cool. Seem really hard to play though!

14. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Yes, the learning curve is a bit steep...

15. I have been thinking for months about getting one and I decided that I just may. I am gonna get the stick bass with it tuned like so...
    HEADSTOCK

D-A-E-B-E-A-D-G

PICKUP

Basically it is a four string bass starting at low B and a four string guitar starting at the regular E. I am kind of lazy and I dont want to have to learn how to play with the bass part tuned in 5ths, so I solved that problem pretty easy.

Being that I play in a trio, I think it will come in handy quite a bit filling up both bass and rhythm. I am excited though all i need is about 1400 dollars and its mine.

Later
    Nate