Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone play a Tanglewood acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FireStormX, May 8, 2003.

1. FireStormX

FireStormX

May 6, 2003
    Ohio, USA
    I was wondering what you all thought about "TangleWood" basses. Has anyone ever played one? Are they good basses? There is a company in the UK which specializes in lefty guitars and basses. I like what I see with the Tanglewood acoustic-electric bass, but I can't really play one, since you can't find that type of bass in my area. If they play like a Carlo-Robelli acoustic bass I'm sold.

--FSX

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got a Tanglewood Odyssey electro acoustic bass. Works pretty well for my uses, although the piezos on this one are dodgy (E and A are quieter than the D and G).

I've never come across Carlo-Robelli so can't make a comparison but I feel that my Tanglewood bass is a pretty good instrument. What are they charging?

Wulf

3. FireStormX

FireStormX

May 6, 2003
    Ohio, USA
    Carlo Robelli's play amazingly, alas I cannot find a lefty. This site is www.lefthandedguitars.co.uk and they are charging about 272 british pounds. I think it's the same bass you say you have, It's a Tanglewood Odessy TM0B2. I play in an acoustic folk-rock band and I don't know if I would use this on stage. Although I think it would fit well with certain types of gigs, and just convienent to practice with. No draggin around of heavy amps. I wish I could play one first, even if it is a righty. What do you use yours for? do you use it for gigs?

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That sounds about the right kind of price bracket.

I use mine mainly for practise (for example, when all my leads are packed away) and also sometimes at small services and groups connected with my church (often I'd rather play bass than guitar but again don't want to plug in... never broken a string on the electro-acoustic bass yet ;) )

Wulf