Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone play an ampeg B-15 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grindliner, Feb 19, 2006.

1. grindliner

grindliner

Jan 29, 2006
    Motown
    I'm a noob to the Bass game and am looking for a first amp. I am strongly leaning towards either a B-50R or a B100R, but just found locally a B-15 Soild state Combo (looks like a '70's model) for $250, and cant seem to find any info on it.

Any Thoughts?

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

They are nice. I've played the 1x15 and also the 1x12 and 2x10 versions. I recently found a B3 combo with a 1x8 and 1x15 speakers in it and that blew the others away in the tone department. IMHO, the B3 combos rule on tone. Aside from that the others are nice. The 2x10 versions even have a built in tuner... Oh, I scored that B3 combo from a local Guitar Center for $250 new (old stock). None of those combos is especially loud. Ok for practice or low to moderate level gig.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    It's a B-15s

the solidstate version of the Portaflex line. I've never tried one myself, but if it sounds good to your ears... the price doesn't sound too bad.

try http://www.fliptops.net/

4. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I had an Ampeg B-15S Portaflex in the early to mid 70's that was all-tube with an Altec 421 15" speaker that sounded amazing and it was definitely not SS, you might be thinking of the Ampeg BT-15 which was a solid state combo.

George

5. grindliner

grindliner

Jan 29, 2006
    Motown
    I dont think its a portaflex.

Seller describes it:

This amp has been used on stage, big rooms(1500 capacity)and small(not thru a P.A.) Durable(transistor)and reliable all-around great amp, , 75 watts, little to no roadwear, early 80's model, this amp is perfect for traveling, gigging or rehearsal. 30"x30"x12"deep

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

They Don't look as cool as the N model, Certainly not the Blue Dimond tolex.

But I think this is the best sounding one.

Aj

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hmmm... I always thought the S was the Solid State version

[​IMG]