Anyone play an eden wt-550, or wt-400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Inthepocket, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Inthepocket

Oct 3, 2003
    hey guys(&girls)

At the moment, i currently play an svt 3 pro, through either an swr 8*8, or an swr 2*10(depending on the gig) .....But over the last year ive really started to hate my ampeg, its a muddy heap of crap IMO......It was great when i was younger and playing predominitely rock, but for funk/jazz/fusion im starting to find that it gets lost in the mix way to easily for my likings, and when im playing it through my smaller 8ohm cab i find that its weak as p!ss........Im also not a fan of its weight.....buts that enough bitching for now:D

Ive been looking at some of the eden heads, but at the moment i havent really had a decent chance to really test one out ....

Does anyone here play(or have played) either a WT-400, or WT-550?

And if so, what do you 'honestly' think of them? ..particulary the 550...the extra bit of headroom could come in handy

Some advice would be greatly appreciated ...

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Do a search man, and you will find TONS of info on both those ampifiers.
  3. I agree with Adrian, but here's my $0.03CD

I had a 400 for a while. I like the sound of it alot. It sounds like a tube, I guess by that I mean a little warmer than a GK or something like that. (IMHO) The tone controls are loved/hated by people. They certainly give you a ton of tones and all, but the adjustment seems to be from about 10 oclock to 2 oclock. They're very touchy. I never played it in any loud band situations, but I never ran out of gas with it. They don't spec 8 ohm power out of it though. The 550 will run down to 2 ohms, if you can swing the jing I'd go for that.

Stay Low.

4. sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I got a WT-550 around two months ago and am pretty happy with it. I play in a power-pop type band and am going through a very small rig -- two Epifani 110ULs -- due to my bad back. Anyhow, I was thinking at first I didn't need such a powerful amp and was going to do the WT-400, but we do get admittedly loud and i'm really glad now that I have more power to work with. I don't know how loud you're playing but are you only going into one 8-ohm speaker? I think a 4-ohm load would probably be better for anything loud but if you're not pushing it too much then maybe it's not a worry.

Tone-wise, I'm coming from a GK800RB and the Eden certainly has a lot more tube warmth than the GK. It's probably what people refer to as hi-fi sound, and I find it cuts through the mix very well. Obviously the size/weight is agreeable, although the lack of a handle is absurd. I picked up a RokSak for mine to carry it around so no complaints.
  5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000

Yea, why is that? It wouldn't take that much to put one on.
  6. Because an amp of such quality deserves to live in a rack :D

I use a WT-800 myself, so I can't comment on your specific needs. All I'll say is I used to use an SVT-3 Pro as well ..... and now I use Eden.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I replaced my 50+ pound rack with a WT-550 about four months ago, and couldn't be happier! A great head...
  8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I recently got a 550 and am totally happy with it. The tone controls are a bit too heavy handed but no big deal. A little goes a long way. The tone quality is sweet and refined with no harshness. It could use a handle and a mute button. Nonetheless, it is a killer little amp! I am running it with 2 Bergantino 12's. :D
  9. Inthepocket

Oct 3, 2003
    ahhh ....sweet as! ....thanks for the info fella's, much appreciated! It sounds the goods...

I only use my 8ohm cab(2*10) for smaller little jazz gigs or rehearsals, so i dont pump it too loud ......but the ampegs 8ohm power is well under what is written in its specs! ....ive played 100watt combo's with more balls and clarity than that nugget

But yea ....i'd love to get a 4ohm switch put on it...

Just one more question .....How the hell do you transport the thing? .....If its unrackable do you move it, without murdering it each time?
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "Pretty" happy? What's wrong with you man? It's Eden, for crying out loud!
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a WT-300 and a WT-800, and I was one of the first to order a WT-550. That was just before Eden's viability became questionable, and that's when I panicked and bought the WT-800. No regrets, but I still wish I had had a chance to at least play the WT-550. The WT-800 puts out about the same power as the WT-550 into 4 ohms. You have to have a couple 4-ohm speakers (one for each side) of the WT-800 to get 800 watts in stereo, or you can bridge into 8-ohms for 800 watts. I've come to believe that the 800 is actually better for me, but I still gas for the 550. You can't go wrong with the 550, unless you're one of those vintage geeks.
  12. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Same here. Replaced my power/pre rack setup with a WT-400. Saves me about 50 pounds, and saves me a trip loading/unloading gear.

Plus it sounds SWEET.