Anyone Play Drums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SpankBass, Jan 23, 2004.

1. I just got this set for 50 bucks a little while ago and started lessons today, I friggin roxxor.

I think its made up of old marching band equip, it has a 26" kick, 14" marching snare, 15" tom (figure that one out), and an 18" floor tom. It's a big friggin set. You can see my first week's lesson on the bass.

I'm hopping that learning drums will improve my concept of time for bass, since as of right now I am just playin by feel, which sometimes gets a little messy.

So does anyone else slap skins?
  2. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    according to the last few recent threads of a similar nature, there are quite a few drummers here at TB.

any drummers?

some popped up here

seems like there were a few other drummers around that I haven't seen lately.

Welcome to tubthumping. You gonna like it!
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yeah man! take some of the pillows out of that bass though, 1 or 2 are usually fine.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I was a drummist(thanks xush!) before I was a basser,(since I was about 9) I still love percussion and drums, but I don't have a kit anymore, and I haven't played in a while.

one day I'll have a V-kit and the world will be mine again! :D :p

5. Yeah. You'll have that V-kit after I get that Swingerland cocktail kit! It'll be acoustic gig heaven!

(And before you ask, yes, we still have a yamaha electric drumset, but my dad gave the drum brain back. :( )
  6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Use as little muffling as possible. With that odd kit you could get some really big open sounds. Experiment with tuning instead of muffling. I see people pack their kick drums so full they wind up with a 10'' tom. That kit reminds me of the group Enuff Znuff.
  7. Smurf

Dec 27, 2003
    For the last 18 years all I played was a 4 piece kit, tho smaller. this is what I tell all the people that I show something to...learn to TUNE the drums, don't relie on muffling, and let the sticks do the work, learn to control them before you get into bad habits. Good Luck!:D
  8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    One word with those drum sizes....Bonham :D

I played off an on for the last 11 or 12 years. I've been getting back into it more lately.

9. Those drums are set up really weird, you lefight handed?

Anyways, I wish I had a pic of my crappo set, but I have a standard 5 peice Stagg, and Sabian B8 cymbals set, and a pearl crappo double bass pedal.
  10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually the kit is set up righty except for the bass drum and hihat pedal. Those are lefty. I did this becauase I was born with Cerebral Palsy, and due to a brain injury when I was about 3 months old, my right foot is really weak. I mean I can barely move my ankle, so as you can imagine, its a pain on the bass drum. So, I just moved teh bass drum to the left so I could use my left foot on the bass. I still have to practice but its getting there. And I got a remote hihat, and put the pedal on the right, so I can use my right foot for the hihat, where my limitation with that leg won't be as much trouble. I wanted to work around my limitation but not have to learn how to play COMPLETELY left handed.

I actually played completely righty for 7 years actually while wearing plastic leg braces. But eventually my bass drum limitation started buggin the crap out of me, even after I didn't wear the braces. Also my right leg cramps up a lot when used on the bass. With my right foot on the hihat I can learn to open/close the hihat using different leg muscles/movements and it doesn't get tired.

I suppose I could just say "I set up that way to make people wonder, but that wouldn't be true :) I do like the fact that its unique though.
  11. (sigh) yes once again im a MAJOR drummer. Why is it all the time i come to TB i always end up talking about the drums?

its either a curse or im retarded.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I wish I could play drums. Or for that matter, have a set I COULD learn on.
  13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Hey if I can learn so can you :) Good beginner sets are pretty cheap actually too.
  14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Cheap? Shesssh. Thats where I feel for drummers. I mean, one freaking cymbal is the cost of my DREAM RIG.

Well, maybe not that bad, but drum stuff is really expensive. I might start taking lessons from my bands drummer.
  15. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, a good beginner kit with cymbals you can get for $600. Most of us spend that much on a bass.

What is your dream right? Cymbals are only like around $200 max, give a few bucks.
  17. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    My drum kit is............. My note books:D
    My sticks.................. My pencils:D
    I'm Pretty good at this note book art. Think I'm jokeing, I can play Weezer-sweater song on them.
  18. Spank, can you even hear that bass over the rest of your set? Take that stuff out and get a pillow(that ou sleep on, not a decoration type pillow) and position it in your bass drum so that each end of the pillow touches each head(you could use a beach towel if you want even less). Tune(turn the screws on around the head in a star pattern for evenness, not jsut one after the next) the batter head (the side you hit) finger tight or a little tighter, but still fairly loose. Tune the resonant head(side you dont hit) the same or a little tighter. Search the net for guides on drumset tuning, knowing how to tune can make the worst sets sound better than great sets owned by people who cant tune. Good Luck!
  19. I've been playing drums for twelve years now. I think it's a good thing for a bassist to play drums, and for a drummer to play bass (for example Dennis Chambers can play bass and Bob Glaub can play drums). It really improves your way of thinking about your role in a band. I Love playing drums....
  20. Dennis plays drums? wow i didnt know that. im not THE biggest Chambers fan, but yes i know about him and how good he is. but he also plays bass.....? thanks for the post, thebug.:)