Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone play esp basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Dec 30, 2004.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I know they are mostly rock basses, but I am looking for info on the higher end esp basses. Such as the horizon, md500, slayer guy model, not the $250 basses. Harmony central helped a little, but very little. Thanks Joe

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    The bass I always wanted as a teenager was a Horizon 5... still pretty nice instruments if you seem em kicking around. The non-ltd esp's are pretty nice instruments IMHO...

3. metallutca

metallutca

Dec 18, 2004
    Malaysia
    i have an esp ltd b-205. a nice bass but it fails me in the slap n pop dept so i got a cheaper ibanez srx500. don't get me wrong, the b-205 is still a great rock bass, but it's just not versatile enough :smug:

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I have an ltd 205B and I love it! I don't play rock that much but I find that it has ecellent tone control and for the price I got it for (under $500) the quality is amazing! It allows for slapping just fine for me. You just need to play with the knobs. Turn the mid up.
    I also have to say that it has features that are hard to find on a bass in that price range. It has string through body capabilities, five piece neck, 2 carbon reinforcement rods in teh neck. I have to say I'm very content.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Tom Barney (Steely Dan, SNL) does, and he kills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    The ESP's I used to love where the "real" j-bass ones they used to make. TM Stevens had a killer 5 string...WIDE string spacing.....and Lincoln Goines had I believe the same model 5 string.....they had massive tones. Then of course both of them went to different brands later on. I wish they would still offer them somehow........maybe they can be custom ordered?? Anyway...they were great basses. They were definitely in that Sadowsky territory. I believe it was late 80's and very early 90's.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Don't forget Santana, Whitney Houston, Mary J Blige, Jennifer Lopez, Teddy Pendergrass, Miles davis, Lauren Hill, Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross, Lonnie Listen Smith, Howard Hewlett to name a few play's a ESP J-1005 deluxe jazz.

8. I'm playing a F-204 LTD.. I love it. I can get any sound I want out of the thing with the 3-band EQ on board. The EMGs sound very nice. It's balanced nicely. Feels good standing or sitting. It has a very nice neck and the action feels great. It holds a setup well. I've only tweaked the truss once in the last 8 months.
    It's built very well, especially for its price. Good workmanship, considering it is built in Korea.

Something that bugs me is the fact that these basses are many times judged as "metal" basses. I can't figure this out, unless people are referring to the Gothic-type body style. I play everything from rock to blues, country and jazz, and sometimes some metal too. So if you're thinking these are only for rock, well.. you're mistaken. It's a misconception.

The only 250.00 ESP or LTD I know of is the F-104. Stay away from that one. It is built in Indonesia, and is not built very well. Even the control cavity was a mess.

Mag...