Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone play FBB basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Oct 11, 2002.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just ogt my FBB (matt schmill) bass a couple of months ago, and it kicks!!!!!!! Is there anone else thats plays his basses?

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Xush and Peter McFerrin!

3. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I get mine today!

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    let us see what you got! Which one?

I think Jim I is on here too, he just got the last one Matt made, the buckeye burl-topped 4 string beauty.

I've got 2- #'s 12 & 51, & just commissioned a 3rd (and 4th...) You can see mine on my site (in my sig)

Adron Allen has #31, he's here in Mobile where I am.

Matt is making some terrific instruments! I've already sold a few basses so I can keep him busy for a while...

Looks like time for another 'show your FBB' thread!

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    What are you after this time, Mark? It's not a fretless mate to that walnut you talked about, is it? That would be pure heaven!
    Yes, Mark's got a fretted 4 (AMAZING!) and a killer lined fretless 5. That the 5er in his avatar.
    His Smugness (Peter McFerrin) has a fretted 5 that he swears has the most killer B string.
    Mine is a beautiful unlined fretless 4 with a piezo bridge.
    I believe anyone who has an FBB becomes a devoted fan and endorser of Matt's work. He's a great guy!

6. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    mine's the one right on the home page, 044-01 in the gallery

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Adron, do you have the fretless now? When do I get to see it? Time to record it, eh?

I've got a doubled-8 string in the works, singlecut bodystyle, Lane Poor p'ups.

Also, the 'wacky fretless', as we're calling it presently. 4 string fretless w/ 'different' body-style...haven't quite got all the specs down yet, so we're working on that as we go.

bassgreaser, how about a review? Tell us about your bass, if you please.

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    this is you? So you're the reason I got the Lane Poors...
    thanks K Dubbs!
    As you'll see, I'm partial to that body shape too...

[​IMG]

9. I own and adore 1046-01, and may well purchase 028-00. I'm taking a trip out to Northampton to visit Matt's shop again on Monday.

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I dont have one yet, but will someday... Was gonna buy the 7 string single-cut then my wife's car messed up.... transmission problems which depleted my GAS account unfortunately.. Im currently having a DP Custom made and after that it'll be a Fbb!! I've played Mark's (xush) and it's a really great bass.

11. I have two, #'s 13 (frets) and 20 (no frets), of which at this point 13 gets the most work. Both have tone fer miles and I get a lot of compliments on the looks.

I'm thinking about commissioning a fretted 5 string around the first few months of next year, after my tax refund comes in. But I want to take some trips down to Gallery Hardwoods, which is just a few miles from my house, because I'd like to handpick my top wood and fingerboard. I'll have to see how Matt handles that though.

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have the #030-00 it's in the gallery. It's a Bookmatched Bocote top w/hard flamed maple center plate over highly figured honduras mahogany back
    5 piece maple/bubinga bolt-on neck, 35" scale pau ferro fingerboard. I put Aero pickups in it. And I'm running th bass passive! I love the sound. I know it's not the best bass MAtt built. But I like it!!!!

13. I own #1035-01. It's an excellent bass and I love Matt's work (he's a swell guy, too!), but there are a lot of things I would have done differently if I had the chance. It's just not for me. I'm thinking of selling it if anyone's interested.

[​IMG]

14. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    cool basses, can someone tell me the url to their website?:)

15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    OH NO!!! If that thing were fretted, we would definitely be talking!
    Mark...I'll explain the story in a PM when I have a little more time.
    Progzilla...I, too, want that 7! I don't need that many strings, but I want a 6er, and I'm in love with the looks of that bass!

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Duke... I just PM'd you.... Let me know!!

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I so do LOOOVE FBBs asthetics. If they are half the basses that their owners say, I'm glad I'm planning to have a few (as in more than one) made. I'm looking at a fretted 4 string, then depending on the Roscoe SKB3007 which :Wayne ON: will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine :Wayne OFF:

Depending on what goes down this and next year, the FBB might come before an SKB3007 or right after

I'm working on specs now for a Fretted 4 which I'm hoping to order sometime early next year, or late 2004. Tenative specs:

Fretted 4 string Jive, strung BEAD
    Wenge/Jatoba neck with Jatoba fretboard
    Padauk top/back, Walnut body
    EMG split coil P, set up so that there are two independant preamps, one for each set of coils (ala Warwick Masterman).

AKA the P Bass of Doom.

18. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    yeah xush, that's my bass. What do you mean i'm the reason u got lane poors? You mean u got the lane poors that were originally sitting in this bass? If so, then you're welcome! I'd never heard lane poors in action before so i asked matt to throw in barts for me. (also switched out the bart ntbt for an aggie obp-1 that took 2.5 months to get shipped...) I'm wondering now if that was a bad idea, but I'll let you know how the bass is once i start bangin on it.

19. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    oh yeah, btw, xush, what do you use your ric 4004 for. I'v been eyein those for a little while, but I hear the sound is definately not for anything precise/jazz (the sounds not the bass stereotypes) but is rather a tone that works better for rock.