Anyone play godins

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris griffiths, Aug 21, 2002.

1. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    anyone play godin's in here? and not just the acoustic basses but actual electric godin's.. just curious I love mine I'm trying to see who else likes them
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    well I don't own one but a friend of mine has one. IMO they are great basses. They play,sound, and feel nice. if you want one. i think they are worth it
  3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I play Godin BG5 and I love it!:)
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    BG4 owner here. They are tops in terms of value for money and great workhorse instruments IMO.

Now if only I could find me a BG6...
  5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have three! An older model BG4 with EMGs...which is just a fantastic bass! Very smooth sound and playability. I use it as my main solidbody for sessions and sideman gigs (engineers, tho initially apprehensive, simply love it's tone)
    And I play both a fretted A4 and fretless A5 (tuned EADGC).
    I am considering getting a new model BG5, with the basslines PUs. They are really wonderful basses.

Godins are exceptional basses, and a great value, which are somewhat underappreciated here in the states.
    I am a Godin endorsee (and no they do not give me anything free, nor pay me to sing their praises), and hope to get some clinics planned for them in the near future inwhich I might be able to demonstrate the wonderful tone and versatility of these instruments.

6. I just picked up the brand new model 5 string, the Freeway 5 a few weeks ago and it's absolutely fantastic!

This is their new passive 5 string (it also comes in a 4 string version). It has a maple body with a flame maple top and clear medium brown natural finish. The neck is a superb birds-eye maple and quite comfy. It is very nice to look at.

The sound is very warm and very natural, and like every other Godin I've encountered, it is tremendously well made.

The price is also VERY low considering the quality of the instrument. They go for $615 here in Canada so they are likely much cheaper than that in US dollars.

It's a great bass. It has currently knocked my much more expensive G&L L-2500 out of circulation for now. We'll see if that lasts, but the Godin certainly does not feel out of place along side it.

I currently own 5 instruments out of the Godin shops and they are all great. They are definitely worth considering. You'll save some money too.
  7. IMO, the Godin BG4 is one of the 5 finest production basses ever built.
  8. 4stringNinja

Aug 20, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I play a Godin SD Pro (4 string) which I bought as a scratch & dent special for $399. BEST sounding bass guitar that I have ever owned! Go buy won't be sorry.

The only thing about the Godin that I didn't like was it's pressboard case...I much prefer a hi-impact plastic SKB case.

Before I purchased my Godin I went to all of the Houston Music stores and played every bass that I could lay my hands on. The Godin SD Pro sounds better than any other bass under $900. If you like a really hot classic Fender sound the Godin is the bass to buy.

Much better than my early 80's Robin Telecaster bass (R.I.P. old friend) or my old '87 Ibanez SR ??? which I sold after owning it for 2 years because of a nagging electrical buzz that no tech could eliminate.
  9. Actually, the SD is no longer in production. However, the Freeway 4 and 5 are essentially the same instrument with a more familiar body shape (2 cutaways). What you won't find is a direct equivalent to the SD Pro which had Seymour Duncan Bassline active pickups. The Freeways are only available with passive Godin pickups (which sounded better to my taste than the active Duncans anyway).

I'd say the only real downside to the new Freeways is that they only come in 2 colours - black sparkle and natural (medium brown) with flame maple top. I would like to see some of the cooler finishes that are available on some of the Godin electric guitars. The natural does look great though!
  10. I have a Godin BG4 and it's AMAZING! The one with the SD pups and pre. What a bass! Jeez is it great. Sounds great through my Peavey rig. I love it.
  11. Here is an old Godin electric fretless that I have:

It is and early model of the Z1 (later models did not have the Zeta-made bridge). I bought this guy used about 15 years ago. I was looking for a Rick, but when I saw this I had to have it. Nowhere on it does it actually say Godin. It was not until I was browsing their site a year or so ago that I notices some design similarities and I contacted Godin. They confirmed that it was theirs, but had no info on it.

The bridge is interesting because if you look closely, the "V" shaped saddles you will see that they are piezo pickups (one for each string). This thing still plays and sounds awesome.
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Seagull guitar.....

The craftsmanship is such that I'd buy a Godin in a heartbeat. Also, the ebony boarded V-shaped J neck on my green custom Jazz bass (see avatar) is a Lasido from back when they made a lot of parts. It is 100% excellent.
  13. I finally got some pics of mine.
  14. and one more for good luck