Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone play Harmonica?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by notanewbie, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Any bass players play the harmonica? If you do please let me know if it is hard to do at the same time. Also please hook me up with a link to a good beginer site. I emphasize beginer because i know jack about the harmonica.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, I do play harmonica, but I've never played at the same time as playing bass. I suppose someday I'll get one of those harmonica holder dealies like Tom Petty, but I have no real need to play both at once. I imagine that, like singing and playing at the same time, you can learn it by practice, practice, practice. It's certainly doable; my first bass teacher does it quite often.

Here's a link for some harmonica lessons:
    http://www.volcano.net/~jackmearl/
    Type "harmonica lessons" into Google or Ask Jeeves if you want some more, there were plenty when I checked.

Good luck!

3. No but I play a mean pitch pipe.

4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I play the harmonica too, but haven't done so for at least 5 years. Never thought of playing it with the bass at the same time, but it makes sense. You can do some nice blues tunes with both together...

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. A little. Mostly when I'm feeling like some blues:) well, that, and when gosh darn it, I feel like a hoe down!:D:D

Actually, harmonica is kinda fun. Not that I'm any good. I still can't work in a death metal harmonica, but I'm gonna fix THAT;):)

6. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Oh yeah man, now we're talking. Blues Harmonica. I love it with a passion brotha.

great site....www.bluesharmonica.com

learn all ye blues hounds to play harp like Willie Dixon (Muddy Waters harmonica player)

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I play harp a bit, and have done tunes where I played bass and harp at the same time. My recommendation is to learn them seperately then put them together. If you can already play bass and sing, it makes it easier...you just think of the harp as your "alternate" singing voice.

8. Willie dixon was an upright bass player; he wrote and produced a lot of Muddy Waters stuff, as well as recording and performing with him, and many other Blues artists at the time. He very well may have played Harmonica but it was guys like Little Walter, James Cotton and Junior Wells who played Harmonica with Muddy. Check em' out.

9. subject42

subject42

Jul 14, 2010
    I've played harmonica while playing bass. It's pretty easy for root-fifth country stuff, but beyond that it's beyond my ability.

I can say the same thing about singing, though, so if you can play more complex lines and sing simultaneously you just need to learn to play the harp* and you'll be good to go.

*May be harder than the "just" indicates.