1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone play /have an Alvarez electric bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VictorG, May 16, 2011.

1. VictorG

VictorG

Apr 19, 2011
    Gatlinburg,Tn
    Pardon me for stating it that way. When I tell or share that I play an Alavrez 5 string Bass seems most people give me the
    " What you mean, Alvarez makes acoustics " look.
    I get that they did not make many models of electric basses or guitars . Some like the AEB5 that I have are quite rare. I feel like the odd man out at times.

So just so I can see I am not alone are there any current or former Alvarez bass owners/players up in here,up in here ?

2. VictorG

VictorG

Apr 19, 2011
    Gatlinburg,Tn
    Alone,so dreadfully ALONE

3. I gigged a stock Alvarez 4string (p/j config) for 2 or 3 years. It was a good mid/low end player, just as good as any Ibanez I've played. I'm not rushing out looking for another one, but it got the job done in a female-fronted folk/rock band.

4. I've got the twin to your bass. It plays good, but I don't play it often, only because I'm not much on 5ers due to the string spacing.

5. VictorG

VictorG

Apr 19, 2011
    Gatlinburg,Tn
    Elmo The 5string also is a great mid/low end bass. Does me well for playing blues and classic rock. You still have the 4?

Shadow Tippy I had the same issue, went from a 4 string to this AEB5. The strings gave me a fit but I just pushed through it and kept practicing til my fingers would hurt but they got conditioned to them string spacing. I would say that is pretty much the same with any 5 string bass when coming from a 4.

thanks for the replies

6. Negative. Got a Warwick in '01 and got rid of the Alvarez.

7. PinkyUnivox

PinkyUnivox

May 20, 2011
    This is Manuel's rare three-string Alvarez resting delicately upon a Univox UB250.

Good for deep, long, heavy warm tones, especially with 2x15"s, 18"s, 20"s, 22"s, 32"s, 46"s, 53"s, 66.6"s, 72"s, 84"s, and 108"s

VNWVV.

8. elmerbass

elmerbass

Jan 27, 2010
    my old church use to have one exactly like that one, didnt like it.... at all.

9. somecallmejosh

somecallmejosh

Dec 2, 2009
    I play an Alvarez 5 String, and I love it. Feels good, sounds good, plays good. Tremendous value!

10. bassramos

bassramos

Feb 13, 2006
    Chicago North
    Anyone trieed the Alvarez 7 string AECR7? 35 inch scale and bubinga body?

11. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Not the best picture but I picked up this Alvarez 6er a while back. Sounded pretty good, Id compare it to the mid level Ibanez kind of sound and quality. 6 strings were just too much for me at the time so I ended up selling it. Even though i have my 5er strung up EADGC now. *facepalm* I still miss it sometimes, good for playing around with, decent bass

12. oh man, those are rare, now i feel even worse that i didnt pick up that AEB6 at the guitar store a year or so back.. dang it..

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've got an Alvarez that I haven't used in years, but can't let go of because nothing else I own sounds quite like it. Rickenbackerish... believe it or not. It also responds differently than all my other basses when I slap or hit the strings. Hard to explain, but it's definintely worth infinitely more than the $200 I might be able to get should I let it go.

YouTube - ‪The Nerve! For Your Love - Live @ Mercury Lounge‬‏

14. KronicAwakening

KronicAwakening

Jan 11, 2012
    I recently bought an AE84 from a friend of mine. As a new student to the instrument, I'm absolutely thrilled to have such a beautiful bass to learn on. The only problem I have is a complete lack of information about the instrument. Where can I find out details about it? Construction specs? Parts?

15. I have an identical Alvarez 5 string. Played on it for 10 years and loved it. The frets are worn to the point where it's not really playable anymore, but I plan on having it refretted/refinished in the future. I doubt I'll gig with it again, but it's the first 5 string I ever played and the only bass I had for ~10yrs, so it has a lot of sentimental value.

16. I played a 4 string PJ for a number of years. That was my first "real" bass, aside from a Ibanez GIO

17. Brain2000

Brain2000

May 15, 2013
    I have a 4 string Alvarez. Like any guitar, it needs to be maintained, which I have been slacking on a bit. This year I gave it the love it needs. And even picked up feeler guages so I could make sure the work is accurate.

Checked the nut height for each string, adjusted the truss rod, set the neck angle, set the bridge height, set the pickup height, put new Ernie Ball strings on it, set the intonation, and cleaned it up pretty good. The action is reasonably low, smooth playing, and excessive fret noise non-existant.

I keep going to the local Sam Ash to compare it with [in my opinion] a near perfectly set bass that has a great action. The Alvarez does not feel quite as perfect, but it is damn good!

alvarez.

18. CDRhom

CDRhom William Murderface's Bass Tech Gold Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have an Alvarez Dana fretless (AE7050 TRW)that I found in a pawnshop. Someone converted it to passive and I've been trying to find out what the original parts were so I can restore it. Alvarez hasn't been much help. I love the neck on it.

19. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    I once owned the orange burst 5er brother of the OP. It was the second bass I ever owned, and my first and only 5er. Got it from a local music store that only sold new Yairi/Alvarez stuff. Any other brand was used gear. That was around 2002/2003.

Played it for quite awhile. Got me through my first two bands in high school. Haha. I always liked the sound, as my other main player at the time was an Ibanez SR400. It sounded a lot like that, just without the precision sound cutting through since the SR400 was a p/j.

I always liked it. Wish I sill had it some days. Low B on it rumbled very, very well.

This is a stock photo I found on Google of the model I had.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1384833908.004770.

20. Rhythmicons

Rhythmicons

Sep 5, 2011
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread.

I have an Alvarez 4 I got back in 1994, P&J style pickups which I immediately replaced with EMGs. Haven't looked back since. I love the bass, though it's not a dreamboat. It sounds really nice.

I mainly resurrected this thread because I am awaiting delivery of an Alvarez 6, and the only reason I purchased it was because it was 150 bucks. Purple Burst, quilted maple top on an alder body. Arrives Tuesday.

I, like you, am wanting to find information about these basses, such as if there is an EMG equivalent to what appears to be the OP's exact same style pickups.

E