Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone play Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 39Reasons, Jan 20, 2006.

1. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am saving up to buy my first 5 string bass and have been researching them for a while. I am thinking of either the Ibanez sr905 or the Ibanez sr1005ewn If anyone knows anything at all about these basses please let me know. I am wondering if it's worth the extra couple hundred more for the 1005? I noticed the bridge was different. Does it really make a difference if each string is on their own "mini bridge"?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Nope, no one.

3. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey thanks for the help!

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I play an Ibanez, although its an old one; I'm keeping it over my SX (which although is a really good one, I need to make room for the SX stingray...)

I'm not too sure about your question though.

5. when's the SX stingray gonna be available anyway? sorry to be off topic

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Few months...could be longer.

7. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i like Ibanez, but i've never tried those models. i did try a SRX705. well, actually i used to own one. pretty good basses for the money, i'd say. despite how much i like them (i dunno how much those cost) but i don't see me ever spending more than $1k on an Ibanez.

8. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Allright maybe my guestion should have been what kind of 5 string bass would you reccomend for around 800-1200 dollars?

9. I don't know about those basses but I just got a SR505 and it's awsome.

I was looking for my first 5 string and when I found this thing I fell in love. It's a great bass for the money. $540 new

I don't know if I'd ever spend 1k on an Ibanez either, I think in that price range you could find something better.

10. jhfva

jhfva

May 2, 2004
    Roanoke, VA
    I'm playing an SR905 that I picked up new last fall and I LOVE IT. In 2 years of playing a Dean, Fender and a Schector, I like the SR905 the best. An outstanding value.

The B string is tight and the overtones on the E and B strings are excellent.

I also love the back being curved and the feel of the neck.

Someone said that the necks warp but I have had no trouble at all. I've experimented with stirng and really love the DR Chromes.

I would look at the SR1005 just to be sure. It has a better bridge. The pickups and electronics are "custom." I keep looking because I have zero sense, but I haven't found anything any better for the money.

11. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I have a BTB 400. It's a good axe. I like it . I used to be a diehard Fender man but I guess im a traitor now. The BTB 405 is a five string version of my bass. I would get the SR 1005 or the BTB 1005 if you have the cash to get one. Next on my list is an SR 400 which I am going to order tomorrow.

12. I play a stock SR506...mahogany body, wenge/bubinga neck, bart pickups and preamp...got it for less than $500...holy crap I love this bass!!!! I love my Geddy too, but the Ibby gets a ton of play time :)

13. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I am very impressed with the Ibanez RD500. Good looking and extremely versatile (almost confusing) from an electronics standpoint.

Look at what BP Mag had to say.

14. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I do feel you get a pretty good bang for the buck with Ibanez. My first 5 string was a SR1205 that I played for years. But if I were you and had roughly $800 to spend, I would look into a used Peavey Cirrus or maybe a used Lakland 55-02. I own two Cirrus basses and LOVE them both. I haven't played a 55-02, but if you do a search you'll find tons of people that love them as well. For what you have to spend I think you can get a better quality instrument especially in the electronics dept. With that being said if you do find a special Ibanez, (mine played much better than others of the same model that I tried) you will probably grow to love that instrument as well.

15. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    ibanez is a GREAT DEAL when you're looking at the mid range prices. like, 200 - 700 bucks. i'd say go for it. but honestly, i don't think its worth the 800-1200 you want to spend. i would definitely look at other aternative. ibanez make a great deal for cheaper basses, but at a certain point its rele isn't much of a difference, IMO

being an ibanez sr400 user, i know i love my bass to death. but it does need new pups and electronics to really sound good. and all of the basses have the same basic everything else.

overall, i'd definitely look a little bit hiigher end.

16. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    in that price range, check out a Warwick Corvette Standard.

Excellent basses.

17. I'll put in a suggestion for the SR505...as I said before about my SR506, mahogany body, wenge/bubinga neck, bart pickups and pre, very nice bridge...feels and plays like a $1000+ bass, for less that $600. It's definitely worth a try.

And if you want to go to the $1700-1800 (unless prices have increased), get a Benavente Vortex 5 and never look back....mmmm...Benavente....

18. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I played an SR800 and an SR405 for 15 and 10 years respectively. Great basses, probably would have moved up to one of their higher end 5's, but then I discovered Reverends. If it's got the sound and feel you're after, go for it.

19. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    I play a BTB556MP 6-string bass and it's sound more than OK!
    A great deal. it costed me 7000 SEK ( Approx. 650-700 $) when i ordered it from Thomann! And the price in Sweden right know is 9200 SEK (Approx. 880 - 900 $ ). Ibanez is really a great deal. They play and sounds great! :hyper:

20. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    There's also the mahogany/walnut-topped 1005, which would give you a fairly different tone from the all-maple 905/1005efm - I personally find all-maple basses to be too bright for my tastes.

I also believe that the 1000-level basses were also now classified as "Prestige"-level basses, are back to being constructed in Japan, and now include a case in the price (the website now comfirms this - try clicking on the "Case for 1005" link). That alone might might very well be worth the extra $200 - the case sells for $119.99 by itself.

~Ian, proud owner of 3 Ibani. :D