Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone play Midi (synth) pedals.?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassman134, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Hi,

I was thinking of trying to fill in some on a few songs with a set of midi pedals. we are a 4 piece cover band and I notice there are quite a few songs with simple key parts I think I could play while playing the bass part. I used to play organ, so technique wise I should be OK. I have a Korg 03/r sound module, but finding a pedal set is quite hard. I was wondering if anyone else has had good/bad experiances with this before I search hi and low for a pedal set..

Thanks.!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Self-aggrandizing as it may seem;

- I've just had an offer to replace a bass player who has a cheap bass and cheap amp and relies on MIDI processing.

All anyone can hear is the bass drum, (MIDI processed), and this guy's B and E strings through the MIDI gear. The band wants someone playing "real" bass because audiences are telling them the the artificial "thud" is monotonous and "fake-sounding" all night.

And this band is booked solid through Dec.

That's not "snobbery", just what happened to me in the last week. Take it for what you will. But I do use an Akai "Deep Impact" pedal for some stuff.

3. Exactly like that.. thanks.. I figure with careful layering I can make 1 touch chords for individual songs, mostly syth pads, maybe strings too. Could really fill in an empty space in quite a few songs.. Although $350 is a bit steep for an "experiment" now if I could just find a used one.....

4. On that site they have one that has been "opened" for $299. Might be a demo or a return.....

5. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Fatar also makes a 17 key version. There is also the Roland PK-5, which is similar to the Fatar posted above, but I don't know how they compare feature wise.

I have a PK-5, and plan to do something similar. What I want to do is get a sound module, a sampler, and a sequencer, then set the PK-5 up to control it all. Essentially, a program change from the PK-5 will change the sounds the sound module and sampler play, and tell the sequencer what song my band is playing. The sequencer will then tell the sound module and sampler when and what to play. Once I get all the gear it shouldn't be difficult to set it up. Writing the parts may be another story though.

6. I thought about sequences as well, but that brings in a lot of timing problems, you'd also have to have a drummer willing to play with a click. Unless someone knows a way to trigger timing from a source, such as a kick drum I don't see any other way to handle it.

7. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Yeah there is a timing issue with sequences. I used to know of a device that would send MIDI timing info from a mic source (like from the snare's mic, or kick like you mentioned), but I've forgotten the name of it. I don't know of a way of using a tap tempo method off hand, but it could probably be done. I'd heard of reliability issues with the device that sent time info from a mic, but it may be worth looking into if you want to go the sequence route.

I haven't gotten to this point in my band (I say my band even though I joined it roughly three weeks ago) but I would push for the click track route. I'd like to be practicing and playing to a click track anyway. But I don't want to get ahead of myself, and want to learn the songs first.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have an elka 18 note footpedal controller that i got a long time ago. i used to use it in almost every song, and i probably will again when we can be sure about the sound guy.