1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone play or know anything about Keytars?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jive1, Apr 12, 2006.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm referring to the old Keytars of the 80s, and the new AX-7 from Roland.

I'm going to audition for an 80s cover band, and besides that, I'd like to use my keyboard skills in other situations. I'm thinking a keytar can be a practical way to fill that void.

What I'd like to know is:
    1) Are they heavy?
    2) Do they play well with other MIDI devices?
    3) How difficult is it to get used to playing it?
    4) Does the keytar have any advantage over a regular keyboard?
    5) Any other advice or tips?

Thanks in advance.

2. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    if you check in the off topic thread under "just how ugly can one instrument be", i think it is about the keytar.

3. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    That's not the Keytar I'm referring to.

I'm referring to one of these
    [​IMG]

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I've always wondered if those things are actually comfortable to play and what the buttons on the "neck" are for.
    For switching octaves, maybe? They don't seem to have a lot of keys.

5. Dude, don't do it. Those things were cheesy in the 80s and they are even more cheestastic now. Play a regular keyboard and save yourself from the indignity of girls who laugh and point.

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I personally don't play one, but I know two bass players that have played in 80s cover bands, and one bought two of the things. I got to play with them, and the older ones are not as rubust as the newer ones. They are, in a nutshell, a short-scale keyboard with the wheel functions on the horn. The switches are typical octave and other switches that you would find on a keyboard. The other guy I know simply had a standard midi controller on a stand. It's really all about looks. With a pastel cotton jacket with the sleeves pulled up, some Wayfarers, and dorky shoes, the keytar makes the image. In practical terms, the keyboard lets you keep your bass on while you jump back and forth between instruments. The Keytar requires time to remove and get into a stand or case. They don't do stands very well. The one with the keytars eventually sold them and made all the 80s sounds he needed with a Deep Impact after that. I would think the keyboard and foot pedals would be more useful. All my opinion.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I know the keyboardist of Sonata Arctica has played the recent Roland(me thinks) model on regular basis for some years. Seems to work fine in the power metal setting, I think it's his primary gig keyboard.

8. The keys player from Dragonforce had one as well. All I know is, I want one. And I can hardly play keys:)

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Once The Killers use a keytar live, they'll be in vogue again!

Wait, were they ever in vogue? I think I've tried to block out that little bit of the 80's from my memory...