Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone play squier P bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikeym, Nov 7, 2003.

1. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    hey guys... my bass is the squier P bass limited editon... i love it, anyone else play squiers?

~mikeym

2. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I have one that I bought in '84 or '85 that has been with me ever since. I have modded it a bit, new duncan 1/4 pounders, and a new maple jazz neck but it made it with me through Europe and I'm still playing it today.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    If you can find late 70's Squier, just add better pickups.
    Great bass for the money.

4. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    Yup I play a modded Squier Jazz...it's easily one of the best basses I've ever played and has a gorgeous tone. Twas modded by previous owner who also defretted it, and it has a lovely tone, much alike to Jaco's which not only has surprised me but has delighted me :)

5. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    yeah i'll probably change the pick - ups sometime... what are a good set of pick - ups?

~mikeym

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont own one but i played one. As with all Squiers, the quality varies from bass to bass. THe one i played was crap.

7. My brother has a Squier Precision from the early '90s. It plays and sounds great, balances well on a strap, and the fretboard is a pretty piece of rosewood. I've read good things about the Japanese Squiers, but my brother's was made in Korea. Maybe it's an anomaly.

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Yah, the bass player for Firehouse uses one. I just saw them tonight and was very surprised that he was useing a Squire P bass. On the same but different subject, he must have been a guitar player turned bass player, he wasn't very good at all. He misfingered some notes (wrong string) and wasn't tight at all with the drummer. It kind of makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong.

On a bright note, the rest of the band rocked!

9. hmm. my first bass was a Korean Squier (I think a '91), black plywood body white scratchplate.
    mine was neck heavy (due to the light plywood body) and had a muted tone, with deadspots all over the neck. the frets wore out very quickly.

all I can say is I was very grateful when I moved on to decent basses.

I think that was a bad year for Squiers- I found an identical one in someone's studio, and it was just as bad.

10. can this still be called a squier? what's left? the body and pickguard?

11. Since the first Squiers were made in 80, or 81 (can't quite remember), you might want to add a body, a neck and harware to those pickups. Then you're set. ;)

On topic, I've got an 84 JV P myself, and I like it a lot. It's a great instrument.

12. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i had a squire bullet from '81 that was pretty decent. took quite a beating and with a pickup that looked like a refrigerator magent it didn't sound half bad. i see them going for about $200 or so usually.