1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone play through a guitar PODxt?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking into a PODxt here, and was wondering if anyone's been able to sit down, and try bass through a guitar pod?

I mean, theoretically, they're the same, just voiced different. Line 6 is even offering a bass pack for their PODs now, so I'm reckoning that the hardware is pretty much the same, it's just amp models/voices that are shifted around.

Specifically, bass response on an aggressive and fast B string.

Anyone able to help? I dabble on guitar, so if I can, getting a guitar one, with more gain structures and options, that also works on bass would be preferable to the other way around.

2. I´ve recorded with one a couple of times but wasn´t to impressed. The amp models are **** on bass basically. Sucks a lot of low end and doesn´t sound to good in my opinion.

I hav not used the effocts on it so I cant say to much about that.

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've done it. I even bought the bass expansion pack for it, but I ended up returning it. I made a patch using the stock "tube preamp" model coupled with the 2x12 Roland JC-120 cabinet; that combination had a nice sound that I preferred over anything in the bass expansion pack (thus its return and the $99 going to something more useful to me.) Not that there wasn't anything cool in the pack (the Sunn model was pretty cool in particular); it's just that I could never see myself actually using them. Couldn't tell you about B-string response as my basses are 4-strings tuned EADG, but I also ran my synths through that patch a couple times and the below-E notes didn't seem to suffer (the 2x12 JC cab seems to be the most full-range of all the cabinets, which is to be expected since the real Roland JC-120 amp is pretty transparent.) But, as always, YMMV!

But all-in-all, my personal preferences aside, if you play both guitar and bass and want to use a pod, the guitar pod plus the bass expansion pack is the way to go, IMO.

4. I've used it for recording. You definitely have to play with it to get usable sounds, but there is some good stuff in there. I used a modified preset (the bassiest distortion I could find) and got me a real nice grindy tone (IMO); picked Zon Sonus -> POD 2.0 -> Avalon U5 -> DAW compression. Peep http://www.myspace.com/thesizeoftheocean to have a listen... it's the second clip, "a great height."

5. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I've recorded through a guitar Pod XT Live. Here's a recording I did with my old band using the guitar pod: Mary, Did You Know. I was pleased with the lows.

In my live rig, I use a Behringer V-amp2 (guitar version), and I love it. My 5-string is tuned down to A, and I get a nice response in that range.

6. i've messed around with that as i have a guitar pod xt. the bassman and hiwatt models as far as i know are the same on the guitar pod as they are on the basspod. i've always liked the hiwatt model for that sort of entwistle like tone. but the fact that you can simply buy the bass expansion pack and have both dedicated bass and guitar models on one unit make this a very good deal. personally i think it is very worth it to get the guitar pod xt. you do need to mess with it to get good tones but lots of people are getting great sounds out of it.