1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone play through...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Essthreetee, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    a DI only?

I mean that you are not using an amp but running through the PA only?

2. I did over the summer,at a blues festival.

It's ok if the monitors are made for it,with 15's.

Little powered Makie monitors with 12's? Not so good....... :spit:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    its ok...not the greatest but it'll work if you have a hefty monitor.

4. It also helps to have the sound guy take out keyboards,bass drum,or any other low frequency that might interfere with the bass guitar.

5. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    The bass player in my cover band does that at every practice and every gig. We use 12" stage monitors and that's all we use at practice. They work fine. For gigs, the bass that cames back to the stage from the pair of 18" subs just about makes the bass in the monitors irrelevant (but not totally).

And, really, even at practice, where it's just 2 12" monitors (Yamaha SM112V's), why wouldn't 2 x 12s driven by a total of 750W RMS not give perfectly fine bass sound (and still also handle the vocals and guitar)? Sure, it won't sound like a fridge, but it's just practice. And, like I said, at gigs, the stage gets plenty of lows from the FOH subs.

6. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    ps. and even on stage, factoring out the FOH, it's still a 1x12 with a horn, and 350W RMS driving it. Oughta be enough for just about anybody as a stage monitor. Unless the rest of the band's stage volume is just ridiculously loud.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I prefer a small stage amp and a big PA.

I like my ampeg B3 200 watts and 2 2x10 cabs.

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have done it before but I like having a amp and cab on stage or at practice. Our pa isnt a very nice one so it sounds better to me to have an amp and cab. Some shows its very convenient to just plug the di right into the sound board though it just depends on the situation I think

9. My main problem with this is that monitor mix guys usually have JUST bass coming thru.I need some high mids for clarity.

When I can get the mon. mix guy on the same page with me EQ wise,I'm fine with it.

10. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I always do it on IEM gigs.

11. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    So if I were to do it....could I go this way? Into a DI...out to the board AND out to a powered monitor with only me coming out of it....sort of like a 1-12".

If so, which DI would you recommend? Sansamp? BDDI? PDDI? Deluxe? Sadowski? Fulltone? Tone Hammer? What?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    it would definitely work that way, but just make sure you get a fairly hefty monitor that can take bass. me personally i like the sansamp vt deluxe, but they're all valid choices depending on your tastes.

13. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    That is what we were thinking....I could pump out of the PA...but get my on stage volume by coming through my OWN "monitor" dedicated for ME. That way I could hear myself and not have too much of everyone else coming through....

We are gonna try it out to see what it sounds like.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    might as well buy an amp ;)

15. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA

HAHA...I already have an amp...we are just messing with going through the PA...making things easier (?)

16. Tom_RCJ

Tom_RCJ

Jan 4, 2010
    Cardinal, Ontario, Canada
    Band is sponsored by Trinity Amps and Sennheiser.
    Been doing it quite often with a Bose P.A. system. No DI box, no private monitoring, just plugged into a Xotic Bass RC pedal for a bit of preamping then into the mixer.

Now, many are those who hate on Bose, and I understand why, but our stage volume is quite low. Our drummer is also our female lead singer, she has a very light touch cause she can't hear her vocals if she plays loud (you know how singers are about hearing their vocals). Even our guitar player has taken to plugging his pedal board right into the P.A. and leaving his amp at home for some gigs. Sounds great too, very controlled and clear. One place in particular is known by musicians for it atrocious stage sound (no house sound set up at all, so bands have to figure it out themselves) and we got it sounding almost musical.

I myself never liked having a massive wall of sound when playing live. Anything that makes my ears tired at the end of the night just feels pointless. I actually get told to turn up sometimes when I play with my 60's Magnatone (which is plenty loud). So what I get out of the Bose is just fine for me, but it took some getting used to. It's not at all the same as playing out of an amp. Definitely not for everyone.

Not sure how I'd like it on anyone else's system, usually what I get in monitors sounds like there's a hard low-pass set at 40Hz (yes, I'm exaggerating, but is it really too much to ask for a "little" definition? It is? Causes feedback in the vocals does it? Really?!? Oh, ok then, whatever. I'll be a good bass player, shut up and just do my thing... *sigh*).

That'd pretty much be like using an amp with a DI sending a line to the mixer, though there could be something I'm not aware of. If the monitor can handle your bass, should be just fine.

17. Do it all the time. Sansamp BDDI with iem or floor monitor.