Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Play With A Choir Revisited

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Oct 23, 2002.

1. I now have an instrument. Got what I would say was a great deal on a used Bass. As some of you said, it didn't take long to get back with the feel after being away for 20 plus years. As I mentioned I played 60s rock and roll and country full time for several years back then. Church music with a choir is going to be a new ball game for me. First rehearsal with my gear is tonight. I read an article on guitarnoise.com about what the author calls "The Box" . Basically it works like this...in the A major chord, most everything you need is on the 5th or 7th fret. As I get into it tonight should I be in pretty good shape and not embarress myself too much by relying on "the Box?". Of course I will have music with guitar chord nots noted above the staff. I obviously do not sight read notes. I know an above average amount about reading music, as I took stell guitar lessons for 5 years when I was a kid, with the goal being able to sight read. What other tips can any of you give for this first time out? Thanks once again for all your many replies to my posts.

2. LeeP

LeeP

Aug 22, 2002
    Frankfort, KY
    I'd say the most important thing is to keep it simple and KEEP TIME! IMHO, in a choir situation (and many others) a wrong note played in time is much better than lots of "good" notes and poor rhythm.

Of course prayer never hurts!:rolleyes: :D