Anyone play with a slide?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Anyone? What sort of material do you prefer? I dinked around on my 7 string a long time ago with a metal one, and dug it up and started playing fretless with it yesterday. Fun stuff - I can pretend I'm Duan Allman! :rolleyes:
  2. mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i often use the side of a beer bottle, when the band gets too drunk to be effective.
  3. On a bass, a slide is hard as hell to use effectively (for me anyway). I've messed around with it on a guitar and had a lot of fun with it. I especially like laying the guitar on my lap (strings facing up) and playing it like that, I'm suprisingly good playing that way when I use a Bic lighter as a slide....what's that style called again?
  4. doormatt

Apr 8, 2005
    yea, but not very well. Anyone change the tuning on their bass and do chords?
  5. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

I use a slide for a few intros and solos along with a wah or a phaser pedal. I've tried a few diff. slides and finally settled on a nice big brass one. It sounds great and produces some nice harmonics as well. The other slides I used (mostly glass) just didn't produce much for me in terms of tone and feel.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I had a friend make me one out of soft (freemachine) brass. It looks more or less like a pedal steel bar, and is very heavy. I mostly use it in my right hand, using it like a bow, but moving it to harmonic nodes all over the string length. It works great on a bright fretless bass like my Travis Bean, especially with fuzz and ping-pong delay.
  7. I HATE YOU!!!!
    Why you ask? Because you can say "my" and "travis bean" in the same sentence. You suck.;)
  8. MickeyMickey

Dec 17, 2005
    I believe it's called Dobro guitar, or something similar.
  9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Lap steel.
  10. Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    That, or Dobro, they're both played like that.
  11. HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I used to use a slide while tapping. I put the slide on my pinky and then tapped out lines beyond the fretboard. It actually sounded like crap but looked pretty cool.
  12. oathbass462

oathbass462 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    i do slide syd barrett style: with the side of a zippo. it just looks too cool.
  13. Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    I've dinked around with one at home but it dident turn out very well. It did sound better on my fretless then my fretted though.
  14. Matt Till had that interesting music video of him playing with a was pretty neat