1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone play 'world' music?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jomahu, Mar 19, 2008.

1. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    tell me more. and yeh, i know. it's a big world out there... :smug:

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

You mean like old Sussex folk songs....?

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i used to play alot of tunes based off of "rogs" like, an indian style. it as awesome

check out a group called TASA

4. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    My guitarist auditioned for a 'world' music band imporvisational. He said the music was generally awful!! The bassist was some daslim style guru buddhist who was phenominal on bass. He said all he did was play eastern scales to odd time sigs. Needless to say he declined their offer of a place.

5. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    to me, it seems like there are 'accepted' forms of world music (i call it 'putumayo music' :D).
    i'm in a band that, for sake of easy classification, plays 'world music.' we never seem to fit in anywhere, which is cool from an aesthetic point of view. but when trying to get lucrative gigs (good money, high-profile, etc.), it's hard when we can't fit into a neat musical box...we usually have to jump on the rock or reggae bandwagons.

so, i'm just curious as to how others have fared in this limitless yet limiting 'genre.'

6. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
  7. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    And yes, it IS hard not fitting well into one genre. But I think because the music rocks to hard and is so accessible (to almost ALL ears -- truly we are accepted in a pretty amazing diversity of places/people), it is happening. We all do this professionally, but it is definitely a lot of work to make it happen.

We're very lucky to be able to do it, though.