1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone played a Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chbecker, Sep 8, 2000.

1. I am shopping for a new bass and I really liked the Pedulla Rapture j2 4string, but it would take 5 months to get one. I spoke with a pro bassplay friend of mine who recommended I check out the Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling. Anybody out there played one of these or have any suggestions?

I am a lefty and I really like the companies that offer lefty at no extra charge. I don't think it should cost more to be lefty. I am looking for a bass to take to the stage with good clarity and punch. I play mostly finger style with a little slap and pop. My style is funk/blues.

I really appreciate any input you all can give me.

PS - my budget is under $1700 US.

2. Ya, mon! Sterlings are amazing basses! I have a fretless one coming next week :D :D

To be honest, I was always aware that Musicmans have an excellent rep for quality, but have never been turned on by any of the Stingray 4's I tried. I always preferred the tone of my Ric and my Jazz. Then, one day at GC I decided to try them again just for fun. The first Stingray, was so-so, but the next Stingray I tried opened my eyes. It sounded and played pretty well. That was when my attitude started to change.

Then, I tried a (fretted) four string Sterling, and I was knocked out! OUTSTANDING sounds were coming from this thing, and it's lighter than the Stingray...almost like what a Jazz is to a P-bass in many ways, including heft and body size. Very good necks on all MMs, but the Sterling necks seem more Jazz-like and quick.

I am extremely impressed with the Sterling, and it would suit your styles very well. Do try one!!!

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a stingray 5 which has the sterling switching system.

I tried a cab in basscentral in april and they gave me a fretted and fretless Sterling to try. The fretted had a maple neck and red body, it played and looked excellent. I really liked it and I dont like maple boards or red as a general hate type thing.

Musicman build quality seems good Ive never played a bad one the paint finishes are very good and they now do more colours.

Personal opinion time-do yourself a favour and try as many basses in one day as you even if it means a trip and a day off. Its a big cash outlay (for me anyway) so give yourself as many to choose from as possible.

4. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Ch ...
    I play a Sterling and it's great. All the MM instruments that I have played are well constructed and possess damn near perfect intonation.

The body is a tad smaller than my Fender Jazz and the neck is similar in size. Personally, I prefer the oil/wax finish on the Sterling neck ... it's fast ... and as smooth as butter.

If your goal is to own a bass with, "clarity and punch". I can highly recommend you try one out.

Good Hunting

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I don't own one yet but I have played a couple of sterlings and they are a great bass. I love the feel of the neck its a little smaller than a stingray and they sound fantastic. I have a sterling on my wish list.

6. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I have owned a Sterling for several years and have not played it for a long time. The body is way too small for my taste, but it took several other basses to find that out. Although the neck feel is much like a good Jazz, the bodyshape is definitely not, unlike one of the earlier responses!

Anton V.