Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone played a Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chbecker, Sep 8, 2000.

1. I am shopping for a new bass and I really liked the Pedulla Rapture j2 4string, but it would take 5 months to get one. I spoke with a pro bassplay friend of mine who recommended I check out the Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling. Anybody out there played one of these or have any suggestions?

I am a lefty and I really like the companies that offer lefty at no extra charge. I don't think it should cost more to be lefty. I am looking for a bass to take to the stage with good clarity and punch. I play mostly finger style with a little slap and pop. My style is funk/blues.

I really appreciate any input you all can give me.

PS - my budget is under $1700 US.

2. Ya, mon! Sterlings are amazing basses! I have a fretless one coming next week :D :D

To be honest, I was always aware that Musicmans have an excellent rep for quality, but have never been turned on by any of the Stingray 4's I tried. I always preferred the tone of my Ric and my Jazz. Then, one day at GC I decided to try them again just for fun. The first Stingray, was so-so, but the next Stingray I tried opened my eyes. It sounded and played pretty well. That was when my attitude started to change.

Then, I tried a (fretted) four string Sterling, and I was knocked out! OUTSTANDING sounds were coming from this thing, and it's lighter than the Stingray...almost like what a Jazz is to a P-bass in many ways, including heft and body size. Very good necks on all MMs, but the Sterling necks seem more Jazz-like and quick.

I am extremely impressed with the Sterling, and it would suit your styles very well. Do try one!!!

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a stingray 5 which has the sterling switching system.

I tried a cab in basscentral in april and they gave me a fretted and fretless Sterling to try. The fretted had a maple neck and red body, it played and looked excellent. I really liked it and I dont like maple boards or red as a general hate type thing.

Musicman build quality seems good Ive never played a bad one the paint finishes are very good and they now do more colours.

Personal opinion time-do yourself a favour and try as many basses in one day as you even if it means a trip and a day off. Its a big cash outlay (for me anyway) so give yourself as many to choose from as possible.

4. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Ch ...
    I play a Sterling and it's great. All the MM instruments that I have played are well constructed and possess damn near perfect intonation.

The body is a tad smaller than my Fender Jazz and the neck is similar in size. Personally, I prefer the oil/wax finish on the Sterling neck ... it's fast ... and as smooth as butter.

If your goal is to own a bass with, "clarity and punch". I can highly recommend you try one out.

Good Hunting

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I don't own one yet but I have played a couple of sterlings and they are a great bass. I love the feel of the neck its a little smaller than a stingray and they sound fantastic. I have a sterling on my wish list.

6. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I have owned a Sterling for several years and have not played it for a long time. The body is way too small for my taste, but it took several other basses to find that out. Although the neck feel is much like a good Jazz, the bodyshape is definitely not, unlike one of the earlier responses!

Anton V.