Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone played an iAmp-800 through Berg HT310 or HT322?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, May 18, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The subject says it all.

I am trying to avoid a 10 hour (round trip) drive to the nearest combined EA & Berg dealer.

I'm planning to get either an HT310 or HT322 in the very near future.

Most TB owners of the HT310 or HT322 seem have tube pre's and SS power amps and that was the main route I was considering.

But, if the tone is right, I do like the simplicity of the one-19lb-box-does-it-all (preamp/poweramp/tuner/lessconnectors).

Besides tone, I have some concerns about dynamic headroom/ultimate db level available with the 800.

HELP!

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    bro,

just so you know, with my old iAMP & Berg 1x12, it was the cleanest, boldest sound for bass i've ever heard. clean and mean.

BUT dont expect anything in terms of growly Ampeg like aggression, or the furry warmth of an all Eden setup. if you love your bass tones, crystalline, with a glossy, gooey sheen to the mids, yet incredibly punchie and bold, an EA iAMP / Bergantino setup is what you crave.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I don't know about the guy who didn't like the iamp, but I can only guess he's used to "colored flab" in his amps, because My iamp800 sounds absolutely killer through my Bergantino HT112, and I can't imagine needing more headroom than this thing's got. If you need more Big Bottom, there's a "deep" switch which should make even Spinal Tap happy. I have mine racked with a Sansamp RBI, which gives me some more colors to play with, but when I read the review that the poster who didn't like the amp wrote, I thought he must either be on crack (no offense) or talking about a different amp - especially the remark about how the "EQ doesn't react enough"...I've got an iamp thread around here somewhere that I started right after I got it in which I was struggling with the sensitivity of the EQ before I got it figured out, and to my ears, the EQ is PLENTY responsive.

It's true that I use mine mostly for DB, but when I do break out the old Smith 6, it sings like a bird through the iamp. Hopefully, you'll be able to hook up with someone in the Boston area who's got one, at which point you can decide for yourself. Good luck.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Sounds like what I am after. Thanks, jokerjkny.

I may have to make that 10 hr. road trip anyway. Thanks, Chris. Boston would be a bit too far out for me. I'm in the sticks of East Texas.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Doh! Still, you need to hear for yourself. Keep poking around, and I bet somebody closer to home turns up with one.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been running my new iAMP 800 with one, or two, Eden 2-10XLTs. I recently bought an EA CXL-12L for use at smaller gigs.

I had previously been using a GK 1001rb or 800rb, as you know, both have a significant mid dip sound. It took some stting used to, but I really like the iAMP 800 now. It's doesn't have as much of a built-in contour as the GKs. It lets more of the natural tone of the bass come through. I'm sure that it would sound great with a Berg.

Is that 10 hours each way, or 5 hours each way?

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I can assure you that I don't use amps with "colored flab" and I'm not on crack. I actually like the IAMP but what I'm most concerned with is the sound thinning out as you get further away from the speaker. I also like a little more dimension, or "depth" in an amplifier.
    Be aware that I've only had this amp for four days. I definately need more time with it and all of my observations are from limited use. I have to say though that if I had had $1,000 more than I would have taken a Walter Woods any day. I like it's simplicity in controls and it's tone better than the IAMP. Yes, it's tone is similar but still different enough. Now, where did I put that crack vile?

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks for the input, gfab333.

That's 5 hours each way.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sorry dude, I only meant that remark as a colloquial for of saying "I emphatically disagree"...and even at that, it was likely an ill-chosen descriptive. No harm intended. :)

It took me about two or three weeks to find my sound on the iamp, and I'm still discovering more about dialing in the tone on a regular basis. I think this is normal for any amp. I have found that for BG, using a preamp or FX unit to get desired coloration is a good an easy alternative, but can understand why many may feel that the iamp hi-fi sound is not for them by itself. In the past couple of months, I've also discovered that there is a huge variety of different tones to be had by carefully adjusting the input level on the meter at the front end. Good luck, and I hope you find the tone you're looking for.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'm in Northeast Texas, so I am relatively close to W. Arkansas, S. Oklahoma, & N.W. Louisiana.

Anybody there own an iAmp-800? Anybody?

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have been considering getting either an EBS MultiDrive or SansAmp BDDI.

Also, I saw one thread regarding (possibly older) Walter Woods amps that suggested a $75 Art mic preamp to warm up the tone for BGs.

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    nothing useful to say... just had to add that i have an iAmp600 and it is indeed brilliant.

i now use it with a tl audio 5051 ivory signal processor (all valve) as a preamp with drive, eq & compression.

iAmp is THE best sounding amp I ever played, it absolutely doesnt colour the bass' original sound.

I sold my Ampeg to buy it and I chose it over an Eden :)

That's all folks! :D

15. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    PHP:
    It took me about two or three weeks to find my sound on the iamp, and I'm still discovering more about dialing in the tone on a regular basis. I think this is normal for any amp.
    I would have to agree that any new equipment takes some time to get familiar with. I recently changed everything all at once and it has taken a couple months to dial in my tone the way I like it. I bought a Bergantino 322 cabinet, an Ashdown ABM500 EVO rack mount head, and I also switched to a Modulus Q5 with EMG’s versus a Roscoe LG3005 with Bartonlini's. (I know, it sounds like a downgrade, but it’s working for me in terms of how it fits my hand, my playing style and tone) I don't recommend changing 'everything' all at once if at all possible, but that's just the way it worked out.
    I tested an EBS HD350 head when I was shopping for a new bass head and while it gave a nice slap tone, it sounded sterile, thin, solid state and clinical to my ears. An the EBS HD350 is well known for the lush sounds that Marcus Miller produces. Variables such as the player, the instrument (passive/active?), right hand technique, and speaker cabinet choice are obviously very critical and make a huge difference.

That same day, I plugged into an Ashdown ABM500 EVO head with the same instrument (Roscoe LG3005 with Barts) and I used the same speaker cabinet. The difference in warmth, presence and fullness was astonishing! The Ashdown was deep, rich, full, and ballsy, yet still modern sounding to a degree. The EBS head by comparison was brighter and more 'modern' sounding. Thinner would be a reasonable term.

Therefore, I submit the notion that the EA I800 was probably 'thin' sounding if that's how it was perceived. It might be "all that and bag of chips" to someone else who plays differently, uses a different instrument, different speaker cabinet and has am ore aggressive right hand attack etc. The Modulus Q5 was sounding rather bloomy and non descript until I changed my right hand attack. I dropped the volume a little so I could play a bit more aggressively and voila! My tone is now ballsy, brighter, has excellent growl and grind where needed. Everything is much improved. I was thinking maybe the Ashdown was underpowered for the Bergantino and I even wrote to Jim B. But we got it all straightened out and I am now in sonic nirvana. For “ME”. Operative phrase; “ For Me”

As always, standard disclaimers apply. Your mileage may vary. What is one mans trash is another mans treasure.

16. I don't know that much about Ashdowns or iamps, but I would worry about the power. I originally got a Berg Ht212 and used it with a Mesa 400+ and it was NOT enough juice for the Berg. It sounded great when I bought it, but got it out on an outside gig at Chicago's Navy Pier last summer, and it was fart-city. Since then I have purchase a Demeter VTBP201s and QSCPLX 2402 and it's wonderful now. Also sounds great through my HT322 and both Berg 112s...:D

Just be careful of which amp you use. Bergs are superb, but require mucho power. When you need to crank it up that's when you'll find out.

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    PHP:
    I don't know that much about Ashdowns or iamps, but I would worry about the power.
    Good question Big String. I asked Jim B and he never sent any red flags regarding the Ashdown ABM500 / Bergie 322 combo. The Ashdown is rated at 575W @ 4 ohms. I am running at 4 ohms into the Bergie. I am tempted however to try using the Ashdown as a Preamp and drive a separate Amplifier like the QSC or a Stewart to see what differences I might hear. Very Very curious. If I add a separate power amp, Then I could add a second Bergie, since the Ashdown doesn't play below 4 ohms. You guys have me totally GAS'ing. I would love to try a Bergie 2X10 atop the 322 just to be ultra cool. I would also love to try a couple Bergie 112's. Are those 112's 8 ohm cabinets or 4 ohms?

18. Here come the GAS dude.
    The HT112 and EX112 I have are both 8ohm. To my knowledge that is the only way they are produced. Now, if you dasiey the two 112s at 4ohm load on one channel and the HT322 on the other channel you have just dispersed all GAS Pains. You'll feel as though you just been totally "relieved." Only, you won't blush or laugh out loudly. :bassist:

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The HT112 & EX112 are 8 ohm cabs. In fact the only cabs Jim makes that are 4 ohm are the HT322 & NV610 (and of course the now discontinued HT310 & HT212).

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Bump:cool: