Anyone played bass on an ampeg vt-22?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rwagne2, Jan 2, 2002.

1. rwagne2

Aug 2, 2001
    So has anyone used one of these little monsters for bass? If so, how do the 12" speakers in the cabinet hold up to the low freq's ? I've heard from some that this amp has a real good low end response. Alternatively, how about the vt-40?

2. You're talking about the 100w combo?

It's the same amp as the V4 (100w guitar) or V2 (50w guitar) heads...dunno about the 12" speakers but when run with a nice bass cabinet (4x10, 2x15, 8x10) yus they do go loud and low, but run out of headroom at concert volumes. Tone up the wazoo though! :D

The V4B was the Ampeg 100w bass head, which is the same as the V4, but no reverb, but with an ultra-low rocker switch.

Remember that if it's a guitar combo, usually the speakers cannot handle high volume if you plug a bass in...good for low volumes but you're quite likely to blow a speaker if you turn it up some.
  3. ronniequeue

Oct 22, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    I just got the amplifier section of one of these that had been salvaged from the combo. How do you think it would do with my 6x10 bass cab?
  4. I used a VT-22 that had been converted to a head.

I quickly went out and got my own V4-B!
    They are identical to the V4, and they sound great with a good bass cab. I used mine with my 610HLF.
  5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have a VT-22 (early non master type) as well as a VT40 (top control panel) , two V4's and a V4B. the VT22 sounds awesome for bass but the 2-12 openback cab can't be pushed very hard. the speakers are pretty heavy duty but without a sealed or properly ported cab they would probably blow at high volumes. VT22 have "VT-22/V4" on the back of the chassis.

the VT40 sounds really good too (but has 1/2 the power), but again 4-10's in an open back cab wouldn't last very long.
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    It would do well... Basically a V4, (as others have mentioned)... I run my V4 into several different configurations and it never fails to please me :D

7. PeterT55

Jan 25, 2009
    Lakes Region, NH
    :help:I never heard anyone play bass thru one of those VT22's, but I did play in a band back in the 70's w/a guitar player that had one and wow! If you were standing in line w/that thing, it would drill a hole from one of your ears right out thru the other one,....
    excuse me,...what did you say again????..........:help:
  8. jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I've got a VT-40 I've had since '85, I've used it a lot as a practice amp, and as stated above it sounds good at low volumes, but it's not going to get loud for bass, and I wouldn't want to smoke those old CTS speakers. Older Ampeg heads should sound really good for bass. In the early '70s they did spec some odd tubes, like those 12DW7s, but that is a really great sounding guitar amp. Also, (some useful Ampeg tube trivia for y'all) when you run into one that call for 7027As, you can substitute 6L6GCs, but look at the tube sockets and make sure that pins 1 and 6 (the pinless spots on a 6L6) don't have wires going anywhere.
  9. Kiklo

Jun 6, 2009
    Hi everyone.
    This is my first post here - just joined today.

I'm playing a 1974 Ampeg vt-22 100w combo (which is now a head, since the amp was removed from the speaker. This little monster of a guitar-amp is the only thing that fits my choice of sound.

It's truly great! I f anybody remember the sound that the bass player from Ben Folds Five got from his Hamer bass and "whatever-the-amp", this would be very close. You can change the sound from the softest R&B to the almost synth-like RAT-pedal fuzz tone - very versatile and powerful.

I'm playing it together with a Musicman Stingray 5.

Jakob, Denmark
  10. BruceofBruce

Feb 28, 2008
    Boston MAss!
    so I have an old VT40 the combo with the 410.
    it's got some problems but after 15 years of sitting I took it to the shop to get it going.
    I started thinking about what tone I really wanted for my latest project.
    Stoner Doom type stuff.
    a friend has a vt22 head into a 410 bass cab and man it sounds killer.
    so if it comes back all good I'm thinking of getting something like this.
    and then plugging it into my 115 410 cabs.....
    cause... well...... why not!