Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone played Ibanez K5 and Belman STD5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sahbiot, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    Hey,

A bloke download in Melbourne Australia told me that with my money he can get me a Ibanez K5 (fieldy's guitar) or a Belman STD-5 (australian hand made)... my problem is i've never played these instruments before, and i've not seen them in australia recently to try them.

has anyone played these basses, if so what are like?(below is a belman standard 5)

regards.

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I havent played the K5!!
    I have played a belman!! It was a custom made bass but it felt nice. I didnt play it amplified but personally i would take it over an Ibanez any day!!

3. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Go for the Belman!

I've got a custom 35" scale classic 5 and it's got the meanest fattest sound around. I tried the one in your photo but I preferred the sound of the 35" scale and the Humbucker/Jazz pickup configuration.

You should really try to play it befor you make your final decision though. The bass centre in melbourne usually have some in stock.

See attachment.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...those look really sharp. never heard of the belmans before...mebbe i should check them out.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, check these out:

[​IMG]

ain't this lacewood/wenge/bubinga body sweeeeeet?

[​IMG]

heck, i even like the pickguard!

man, these are really sweet looking basses...and, different...how do these things sound?

6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    The one i played sounded good unplugged. I personally didnt play it amplified although i did hear someone else play it amplified. Sounded very clear and cut through pretty well. It felt really good. The neck was a bit thin for me but then again it was a custom bass.
    Im pretty sure he will do most anything.
    Not to expensive either especially for you Americans, with the current exchange rate you could pick one up really cheap.

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    this one sure is purdy...

i like!

[​IMG]

f

8. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    Nice Basses mate, i also just heard about them today, and i think you can only get them in melbourne... Im in sydney and can't try one out! arrghh!

Hey Classic5 your bass body looks very different, do you have another picture of it on its side? nice angle shot man...

do any of you think it would sound better than a warwick jazzman? or is that just not comparable? (reason for asking because that is also one of ma choices)

btw, don't you reckon the Ibanez K5 looks wicked?

9. Wow, those look very nice. I'd go with the Belman over the Ibanez. I've only played one Ibanez that I've liked (an EDA 900). What would one of those Belmans (Belmen?) cost you here in America?

10. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    Theres this shop in melbourne called bass centre that can ship i think to america, and the guy(his name is actually GUY!nice guy) already offered me for the belman STD-5 $1960 australian so i guess that in us dollars would be $1082.32 us, but thats excluding shipping which may cost another 100 i think. heres the link to the site:

http://www.basscentre.com.au/

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow, these things are really cool...the look really "tobias-y" just from looking at them, i think i would take one of the belmans over the k5 ibanez. if i were to get an ibanez 5 string, it would be an sr3005.

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ain't the K5 a SR3005 or something similar with ugly graphics?

13. jtd125

jtd125

Mar 16, 2002
    Agoura Hillis, CA
    what are is the price range on one of those belmans. they look pretty.

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

the k5 is a rehash of the older 1305 series...padauk body (i think...could be mahogany...) with the wenge bubinga neck...similar to the 3005, but with different elex and bridge.

15. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Is it just me or is that neck pretty damn big?

16. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Hey Sahbiot, if you want to find out a bit more about my Belman do a search for my thread titled New Baby.

I've gone with their classic shape because to me the balance of the instrument was better. Particularly in a seated position.

I tried a lot of 5 string basses befor I settled on this one (ie Musicman, Warwick Jazzman, G&L) but I personally liked the Belman better. In particular the B string. Second would be the Warwick Jazzman but it cost A$1000 more. I preferred the B on the Belman but the Jazzman I tried was 34" scale and I found the B string a bit flabby.

Value for money I couldn't find anything to beat the Belman I bout. I've actually had it for about nine months now and still totally love it.

I would love another classic with a natural swamp ash finish, maple fretboard and the Humbucker/Jazz setup.

I also think their prices are starting to go up as I saw a 4 string recently for the same price as I paid for my 5. I think as they become better known unfortunately they will also become more pricey.

Good luck with your decision.

;)

17. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    Yeah thanks classic5, man i checked your thread out and the bass looks heaps NICE! i like that classic look too, and the colour is great mate. I was thinking about choosing a belman (your type), but i am too convinced by the jazzman which cause me to toil no longer...i just ordered one.

Anyway i spoke to the bass centre guy via email, and he said that the belmans have been going like hot cakes! its definately in the price. And mate think about the good deal you'd be getting if you bought it from over seas... just over $1000amercan u can get a custom beauty like that!

cheers!

18. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Congrats on the Jazzman. It is a hard one to resist once you,ve played it. You must post the pic when you get it.

It's a great bass. Did you get the Streamer shape or the FNI?

You'll have many years of fun with this one. Beautiful piece of gear.

:D

19. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    A Pic...Indeed i will, Indeed!

I got the Streamer Jazzman which in my opinion i think looks nicer than an FNA. I've been trying to find a great deal for a bass for nearly 2 months now, and at first i wanted to just buy a Streamer STD5. I tried it at the shop, and it was the last one there, and it felt real good in my lap, and the action was superb! anyway i never thought it was selling for so cheap, only $1300aus so i thought i'd get something more expensive, which ended up being the Jazzman... yesh matey!

:D

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, here's one...

[​IMG]