Anyone played the Aggie S series cabs yet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rayzak, Aug 22, 2005.

1. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Particularly the 810. How does it compare to other 810's or, say Berg's NV610? Or Aggie's own 412? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Vanni

Sep 15, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    I have tried this cab, but I can’t compare to other 810’s or a nv610…

You can read the review of the S cabs of Bassplayer, it’s very accurate…

Compared to the GS 412, I prefer the S810, I found it is much tight in the lows.
    The lows in the S810 aren’t boomy at all.
    It’s a tweeterless cab, so you lost some high compared to the GS412… but I prefer tweeterless cabs! :)
    It have more midrange, more presence.
    It’s more rock-oriented…

I have tried this two cabs with a DB750. :eek:

3. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks Vanni,
    The Bass Player review quotes "it doesn't have overwhelming, earth-shattering bass...", is this a polite way to say that it's lacking in lows?

Anyone else? I'd really love a comparison between the Berg NV610 or maybe an Ampeg810. I'm really wanting to add one of these cabs to run with my AG500 in the near future. Maybe even the Berg NV425, but i'm just trying to get some thoughts from you fine folks who've had the pleasure of playing them.
    Thanks for any input.
  4. Vanni

Sep 15, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    IMO no... The S cabs simply don't have the fat bottom of the GS (too much IMO in many situations)... IMO S cabs are only tight and more focused.

Keep in mind I have tried the 810 with a DB750... with your AG500 it can give completely different performances... you should try this cab with your gear...
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i only got to try the s210 and 410, and gave them direct comparison to the gs 210 and 410.

to me, the biggest difference is that the gs 10" cabs have a very aggressive midrange with a lot of "grunt" and "growl". the s series sound a bit more subdued in the mids. actually they remind me a lot of the original swr goliath 1 and 2 and eden 410t. I didnt find the lows to be that much "bigger" on the GS cabs, more low mids on the GS cabs, and definitely the gs cabs win in the aggressiveness department, but i kind of found myself preferring the "middle aged school" (i think i just coined a new term) vibe of the S cabs.

keep in mind, the GS 12" cabs are very different animals from the 10" GS cabs. the GS12 cabs have a more subdued midrange, and excell at low end booty rather than the "in your face" nature of the GS10" series.
  6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Don't know if this is helpful, since I only own the S410, but I'll offer my thoughts.

I own/play through an S410 and I'm really happy with it. I agree with BP that it's not as "quick" and midrangy as some cabinets, but it seems to pair perfectly with my Demeter pre, which is super quick and has mids. For example, I recently demo'd an Epifani 310 which was more responsive, but had fewer lows and just didn't sound as big or good with my preamp. I had an Eden 410xlt for years, and I'm happier with the Aguilar - it's a rounder sound, without that Eden hump (which I was not a fan of). I also compared it to a GS212, and I was happy with my S410. I played through a GS410 a year ago, and I'd tend to agree that it had more "grunt" (if eq'd the same), but I don't recall a difference in lows - both are very strong. I don't find it to be as scooped as say a Goliath (I forget which series I've tried). The S410 sounds incredible on stage - handles everything me and my Ritter throw at it with authority. I have to admit, I love the fact that it's smaller and lighter than the GS410 or the 410xlt. When I'm playing agressively, the S410 is more musical sounding, the 410xlt was too much.