Anyone played the Bee gbc 9-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spicolli, Mar 14, 2006.

1. spicolli

Mar 13, 2006
    New Hampshire
    I was just wondering how it compared to other 9-strings in weight and playability,like say in comparison to a regular worker bee 9,or a conklin 9?
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm sure Stew will be dropping by in this thread :p

3. lodobassbash

Mar 14, 2006
    Denver Colorado
    Circle K Strings
    I have played both of Gregs 9's (the prototype and the production one he has now), as well as own my own "Worker Bee 9" - though im not a fan of the fanned frets - its does play freaking great. Very low soft action, and it sounds AWESOME! I have another bee on order - a thunderbee 7 string "green meenie" as well as a Jerzy Drozd Sequel 9 string with MIDI. Love the Bee's and LOVE the JD's as well....

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've played the Bass in the pic and remember this is a sig instrument,it played well the action was low and the bass from the time I spent on it sounded very nice and it seem to be a very versatile instrument,going from a modern hifi sound to a very throaty mid range growl and every where in between,the neck was much to thick and wide for my personal taste but this is not my personal Bass(again a sig instrument)I'm very familiar with the fanned fret system(I own and play fanned fretted Basses)it has it's place for those who choose the benefit's it offers,nice even lows and clean overall string balance.I've had the opportunity to play my share of Bee Basses and everyone that I have played all sounded nice(I'm not exaggerating)and I can accurately say that Fred Bolton of Bee Basses is part of that small but super talented and open minded group of new Bass builders to pop up,a much needed thing in the ever growing Bass community.
  5. :p :smug:

of course!

I've played many of Greg's basses over the years and while it's safe to say that we are very different in our approach and our aesthetic sense, Fred's work on the GBeeC is top notch.

as Jauqo pointed out the tone is incredibly versatile. you can hear some of the breadth of the instrument's sound by swinging by MySpace and checking out 9 & Zen, one of Greg's bands.

a lot of people have voiced reservations about the fanned fret system, but I have played a number of basses with them since the 80's and they play very, very naturally.

a great instrument for and from a great player!

6. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I've played both of Greg's 9's - liked them so much I ordered my own Bee Bass... however, I wasn't crazy about the short horn (I practice/rehearse sitting down) - Fred, being the champ that he is, re-designed the treble bout for me and thus the Knee Bee was born.

As for a comparison to Conklin, my Bee is a completely different animal (flat radius, shortscale, MM-style pickup) so it's like comparing apples & oranges. The Bee sounds great and practically plays itself.
  7. spicolli

Mar 13, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the input guys,i greatly apprecitate it.I'm just asking around cuz fred's building me a similar bass,and i'm trying to iron out the specifics.

I'm pretty sure i know what i want for woods,and i am going w/fanned frets.I was planning on 35 inch(low-f#)to 32 inch(high-a#).Now gregs is 34 i right? If so,how did that feel to you guys.
    Because if i could get away with a 34 inch scale,and still be tight on the f#,i would definately go for it.Cause this bass is gonna be huge as it is..haha.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    I've played a few of Fred's Basses that had an F# string on it that were 34"scale and the feel and tone of the F# was very impressive.
  9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
  10. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    GBC has a short scale version and long scale version. I've tried the short scale at NAMM and thought it was one of the most comfortable and smoothest playing basses I've ever tried. Granted, I was lost with all the extra strings, but it was fantastic.

A single cut version is on my short list of basses to acquire. Fred's a pretty cool guy too!
  11. Hey,
    here's apples oranges really but I played a bee 5er and it had a really comfy thin neck IIRC. Is the GBC thicker than his other models?
    I'm sure Fred enjoys making any type of bass and loves the business and compliments, but it's almost as if you can hear it in his voice that he really wants to make normal basses too instead of all these ERBs he's been putting out recently when u talk to him. Man that 5er was comfy that i played....

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002

again not my personal Bass.I dig and respect Jean's 11 string Ken Lawrence and Garry's Goodmans 12 string Adler but the necks on those two Bass are just to wide for me.

again not my personal basses
  13. wasn't criticizing at all, just commenting on the regular ones IME and then asking if u played a regular bee besides the GBC edition to compare the necks? Any neck difference between those two anyone notice? Cheers.
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :eek: I sure hope not! He seems real excited about the Worker Bee 7 I ordered (details linked in my sig)... and he seemed pretty excited about Stew's replacement bass too.

I PMed GBC about this thread when I spotted it earlier.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002

No I didn't take it as such at all.I've played my share of Bee Basses and the necks seemed comfortable on all of them but Gregs Sig model 9 string had what for me is a thicker neck than the other Bee Basses that I have encountered.
  16. yeah, you're prob right when I think about it. probably more or less just surprised he makes so many ERBs rather than mostly 5s and 6s. But I can't blame the guy when he makes basses the way he does!
    By the way, i think you ordered your bass the week before I did judging by the link on your post! looks like it'll be great, congrats!
  17. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    Ahhh, the thin necks...

i prefer a thin neck, in fact it was why i was originally a warrior artist...

i loved warrior's razor thin necks on my pair of original 9 string twins...

BEE prototype #2 (my main bass) was a bit thicker as Jauqo mentioned as i plan to scallop it after it seasons to the montana weather over the next few years...

the F# is in fact 33" as was last years namm show nine string which now belongs to Chris Cardone...

i beleive Jean's knee bee is also 33" on the low F#

and wow! what a cool surprise to find folks interested in chatting about the bass!

and thank you all for chiming in!

if there are any questions i can answer i would be glad to do so!

And BTW Fred has expressed a desire for SOMEONE to just call up and order a "NORMAL" bass!

So yes... Fred does build ALL breeds!

I own a BEE 3 string, a 4 string lefty, two 4 string righty's in the works, two nine strings, and another nine string in the works.

My connection with BEE basses has turned out to be so much more than about the basses themselves...

When most folks connect with Fred they gain a freind, and one seriously talented and innovative luthier!
  18. I will absolutely back this up!

Fred has become one of my best friends and I feel so honored to be able to say that.

in the literal and figurative wake of everything that's happened to me this year, Fred and his family have truly made me feel like I am one of their own.

even if that were not the case, his ability to give each player an instrument that surpasses the original goals in building the bass is truly remarkable.

Fred, if you read this, you are the CAT!!

from the depths of groove and gratitude,

19. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    oh really?:bag: