Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone played the MIJ, Leduc-licensed U. Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Eristic, Sep 23, 2005.

1. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    I'm talking to a shop about an NOS 5-string fretless. They're apparently extremely rare, and a google search brings up nothing. I kind of collect Japanese instruments, and I'd like a fretless (giving up on the lightweight MM-style until I save enough to have something built for me), so I'm wondering if this is the way to go.

Thanks,
    Joseph

2. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Man, these things MUST be rare, if nobody here has seen or played one. 8^|

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    All the LeDucs I've heard about were made in France... so it must indeed be rare, I've never heard about them being made in Japan, too

4. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    I'm thinking it might have been made by the same shop that built Logabasses, which were also designed by Leduc. Since it's headless, there's a little logo on the top:

"U. Bass
    Designed by Christophe LEDUC
    master luthier Thianville France"

I'll attach a pic.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Might be. Note that it says designed by LeDuc, not built (or manufactured)

6. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Oh yeah, I definitely know it was not built by him, but in Japan. According to the store selling it, "this one was handmade by the head luthiers at the Matsumoto workshop in Japan—a total of 100 pieces were made with only 10 imported to USA – and this was the only one in Natural finish."

7. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Bump for the weekday crowd.

8. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I want one.

9. All I know is that the fretless Leduc U-bass I once played was the nicest feeling bass I've ever come across. Hence, even if the Japanese made version is only about half as good as the French one, it has to be a smashing bass. Buy it!

10. lukemitchell22

lukemitchell22

Apr 5, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I own a U-Bass! It is a terrific instrument, designed by Christophe Leduc and built by the Japanese luthier Sanox. It is a four string with the "floating sound board" and J-style Bartolinis. It sounds very woody and warm, and it weighs practically nothing. The feel is amazing. You don't have to fight it at all. I've had it for several years and I have no idea what it is worth now. Any guesses from the experts out there? Masochist that I am, I'm thinking of selling it so I can get an upright. In any case, I can't recommend the Japanese U-Basses highly enough. I've been very happy with mine.

11. The Eristic

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Thanks!

I'm hoping somebody will chime in as to possible value as well.