Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone played the new Cort Curbow Retro?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duke2004, Oct 11, 2005.

1. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
  2. I've played a couple of them, and bassmonkeee owns one. It's a hard bass to beat at twice the price. Plays well, sounds good, looks cool. The neck was a tad small at the nut for my taste, but that's a minor thing. I came very close to buying one, I just have too many basses as it is.

3. It's amazing to see how far this bass company has come. I remember many years back. I played bass in marching and jazz band. And we had a Cort P copy. That bass was the worst sounding/playing bass I've ever seen. Now, they look pretty sharp.
    Joe

4. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    the Cort Curbow isnt everyones cup of tea, but its got some pretty cool features for a $350 price new/4 string. I believe the Retro should sell for 250-299 range. i wonder about the pickups though...

5. I've seen new Retros on eBay for as little as $200.
    The pickups obviously aren't top-shelf, but the bass still sounds good. Much like a MIM Fender Jazz, a Retro would make an excellent bass for upgrading, and with a lower starting price.

6. pegwedge

pegwedge

Oct 4, 2005
    West Virginia
    Anyone know of any online stores that sell these? I'm really liking them, but can't really find anywhere that sells them other than one on ebay.

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    THREAD RESSURECTION!!!!!!

I'm looking to come back into the bass world after having sold all of my stuff to buy a guitar rig *kicks own ass* and am seriously considering pulling the trigger on one of these beauties today. Originally I was leaning towards one of the luthite Curbows but thought better after remembering what a disaster my Ibanez EDA was (tension of the strings literally broke the neck off at the joint along with ALOT of other problems).

I'm gonna pair it with an Ampeg B100R. So.......any more thoughts on this bass?

8. Here you go. It caught my eye too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CORT-Curbow-RET...01QQihZ017QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

9. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I thought the retro was luthite as well? :eyebrow:

edit: agathis body...what's the difference in that and luthite? I used to own a curbow and broke a chip out of it once. Fortunately, Cort was great and sent me a new bass because they said that it shouldn't have broken out like it did. But the body was definitely synthetic, reminded me of plaster from the look of it.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Agathis is wood. Luthite is a synthetic made of wood pulp and petroleum based resin.

11. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    the curbow retro was my first bass. $199 on the 'bay.
    it's a great bass. feels good (if that's your feel) and plays sweet.

i sold it when i started playing 5 string. too bad they never made a 5er. :( i would have picked one up toute suite.

12. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    so are the curbow's luthite then?

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The Retro? No, the Retro is Agathis just like the website lists it as. The carved top Slappers are luthite. But, not the Retro.

Here's my modified Retro:

The only things original at this point is the body, neck, and tuners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. that bass is so FUN-KAY! Loving the mirror pickguard.

15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I really love that bass Bassmonkeee. If you ever decide to sell it in the future let me know. I was originally leaning towards a Cort Curbow but have since decided for an Ibanez ATK100 on ebay.

I love my guitar but it will be so damn nice playing bass again. I've missed it alot.

16. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Another thread resurrection. :smug:

I'm thinking of picking up a used one for cheap on ebay as my latest mod/project bass. I have a question about the pickguard, however.

Does anyone know what the cavity looks like beneath the pickguard? Is there a sizable cavity surrounding the front pickup and is there a "trough" leading from the electronics to the pickup?

I'm hoping the answer to both questions above is "no", because I'd like to remove the pickguard and create a smaller one to just cover the electronics (think Carl Thompson).

Thanks in advance...