1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone played the newer style Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FeelTheGroove, Apr 14, 2006.

1. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    This newer one has a thinner jazz style neck with block inlays and the Fralin pickup. http://www.lakland.com/basses/dunn.htm

I love precision tone but always shyed away from precision basses because of the big necks. I was considering a Darryl Jones, but this Duck Dunn might be just up my alley.

Whats the Fralin pickup like??

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I haven't played the skyline Duck Dunn, but I sure want one!
    So many basses, so little money :D

I built my own Duck DUnn a few years ago. I love to have the P bass sound with the Jazz neck!

here's a few pictures:

http://yvongravel.googlepages.com/pbass

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Killer.

The epitome of vintage P goodness. warm, full, and punchy. Not in any way is in inarticulate or muddy, but that might be the Ash body and maple/maple neck. I don't know what it would sound like with an Alder body and maple/RW neck.

Sounds great played with a pick with a bit of overdrive and the tone full on, and sounds equally good when played fingerstyle with the tone rolled off. Has an awesome meaty slap tone, too.

Honestly, it has the best P tone I've ever heard.

4. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Played one at NAMM, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on another. I love the Fralin pickup that comes in the Glaubs. It's just THE P bass tone for me. It's a little punchier and fatter sounding than my next favorite P pickup the Fender 60s RI.
    As far as the playability, for some reason I prefer the standard Glaub neck. Maybe the fatter neck makes me play it more like "P bass", I dunno. On the other hand, the Duck Dunn and other Skylines that have had the Osborn Neck on it played very comfortably. I like the Osborn neck over the DJ, just because it's a little flatter. The Duck Dunn will have a JO neck profile with block inlays and binding. They have a nice look with the candy apple red finish, blocks, and binding. As far as tone, they sound like a Bob Glaub with a rosewood fretboard. Tone for days and a comfy feel. What more do you need from a P bass?