Anyone played with a clear lucite/acrylic bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sammedit, Nov 7, 2005.

1. sammedit

Oct 31, 2005
    Ive been seeing these things on ebay. They are fairly cheap and probably pretty crappy but I am looking for a back up bass that is lightweight. If you've picked one up, are they heavy? Thanks
  2. if you're looking for light weight bass, then forget acrylic.
    they are HEAVY
  3. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They make the heaviest of Fenders feel like a Steinberger. And they don't have all that great a tone. On the other hand, they look amazingly cool, so I'd buy one.
  5. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I played a Clear Lucite Dan Armstrong Ampeg short scale bass in the seventies and I'm afraid I can't think of one thing about it that I liked, it was: Heavy for such a small bass, synthetic sounding, odd feeling and on and on.

6. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Ibanez updated the idea with a Korean polyurethane material they called Luthite (I think Cort uses this too). I have their discontinued EDA900. It's very light, I love the styling (it's the AFR Bass from the 1980s, but in cheaper plastic). Unfortunately, the sound is a bit mediocre, though it has a fairly wide tonal palette.

Jens Ritter is also doing some of his high end basses in a Luthite type plastic. Knowing Jens, I'm sure he's researched this well and has got the design right.
  7. lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Played a an acrylic BC RICH about a year ago, goddam that thing was so heavy it gave me back pains and it sounded like a peice of ****...
  8. +1
    Theres one of these in my local shop for sale right now. It's neat looking, but that's about it. I think it's around $1000 used there.
  9. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The Ibanez EDA ones are good - they're discontinued now though...I think.
  10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I played one for a couple years and adored it. It had an excellent Blues tone. I foolishly sold it when the Chris Squire Ric phase came through (dates me). The key with the DA was getting the right strings for it. I think they were called Dan Armstrong Super Strings. They were really light guage flats and sounded amazing. My experience tone-wise does not agree. I found the tone to be a super P kind of tone. I believe Black Sabath's NIB was recorded with a DA, although the Geeze may have been using a P at the time. Anyway, that's the tone I recall.
  11. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I loved the look, the sound (the tone control was a sort of pan control between the stacked coils instead of a hi frequency roll-off), and the feel of the 24 fret neck. It was pretty balanced (not neck heavy) if I remember and though it was heavy, a wide strap helped out.

It had a great DI recorded sound too. Really fat and hifi.

Oh, I hated the little Grover guitar-type tuners, so I put Schaller mini's in there.