Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone playing a DeArmond Pilot V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I just got one cheap off ebay, and I don't know when it'll come. Just wondered what your impressions were. This seems to be the first model, with jazz pups and one-piece neck.

Wonder how you like the preamp, and the B string?

Thanx.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My brother has the four string version with a P-J pickup setup. It's quite nice, I've played it.

3. keith phelps

keith phelps

Sep 25, 2002
    Hey Flatwound, I have had a Pilot Pro 5 for about 4 months now. It has soapbar pickups but I would bet the preamp is the same. I can't find any fault with this bass at all. You can get a great range of sound from this bass, just about any tone you want. The neck is wide but very thin, easy to play and very fast. The finish is holding up very well. After 4 months I can't even find a hairline scratch. I do baby it, though. I haven't played anything for under $500 that was any better. The B string is nice and tight.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    those are really nice basses. well made and good suonding.

5. keith phelps

keith phelps

Sep 25, 2002
    Hey Flatwound, I have had a Pilot Pro 5 for about 4 months now. It has soapbar pickups but I would bet the preamp is the same. I can't find any fault with this bass at all. You can get a great range of sound from this bass, just about any tone you want. The neck is wide but very thin, easy to play and very fast. The finish is holding up very well. After 4 months I can't even find a hairline scratch. I do baby it, though. I haven't played anything for under $500 that was any better.

6. I'm happy with mine, I got it at Sam Ash right after DeArmond got baught out by Fender. I think its about time for me to change the strings though, cause I've had the ones it came with on for like a year, haha. It still plays great and you can get a wide range of tones. The string spacing is pretty wide, so if you're a slap monkey it works out pretty good. You can get some great tones in the upper register on the low B. It's a good overall bass and the active pre's on it will work in your favor. Basically, you can get any sound you want. Have fun.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I have a Pilot Plus 5 and have been using it as my main bass since June of 2001. It's been through marching band [including a state finalist performance], show choir, gone on a few planes, and in jazz band. It sounds very nice and played great after i got it setup. [intonation was about a half step off] Mine has been a great bass but is getting ready to be put to backup status. Thats all

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I've got a Pro V, the one with the soapbars, and it's been my main bass for more than a year now. Take into account the fact that it's my only fretted bass, but also take into account that I haven't sold it or bought another one to replace it.

My only complaint is that I cannot get the mids perfect using the onboard EQ. Maybe I'm just really particular, but it can sound a little boxy without a nice pre like the Nathan East box I bought from MF for cheap.

My teacher has the one you're getting, with the J-style pickups, and I kinda like the tone better. My next bass won't have soapbars. (Construction-wise, for the money, these are great basses.)

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I bought a Pilot Plus V when Sam Ash was having a blow out on them. I like mine, especially the neck; it's the only wide string spaced neck I have played that doesn't kill my left hand. It's very easy to slap and can produce a good slap sound. I like the preamp, I can get a varity of sounds. It can do a pretty good Fender imitation. Overall I'd say the bass sounds and plays pretty d@mn good.
    Cons:The knobs are labeled wrong (not a big deal), and the B-string output is a little weak sounding (I suspect that it has four-string pickups).