1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone playing a HALLOWEEN gig???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Anyone doing a gig on Halloween!?

My band didn't get a gig booked that night, so I'm doing a side project gig w/ a bunch of musician friends and we're dressing up and playing songs from Tommy James & The Shondells:

Hanky Panky
    I think we're alone now
    Mirage
    Crimson & Clover
    Draggin' the line
    Mony Mony

There's 7 or 8 other bands that night (and another 7 or 8 the night before) doing the Who, and The Cars, The Decemberists, and a guy who does George Michael who steals all the chicks every year LOL

Anyways, anybody doing this? BTW, I'm generally not in a cover band of any sort, so it's sort of a stretch for me to learn covers, but these tunes are pretty simple, and there's only 6 songs in our set because of the massive lineup. Should be fun!

2. Ozonbass

Ozonbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Chicago
    I'll be at this one with my youngster. His band is playing.

SKALLOWEEN.

3. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I expect pics after Halloween of everybody in costume and kicking out the jams!

4. 95svtcobra

95svtcobra

Sep 20, 2007
    Windham, NH
    Yep,

About a 90 minute set of originals with about 4-5 covers thrown in...

It's a costume party at a bar in Boston, so we're trying to do a theme for the band....

X-men / Superheroes have been suggested, but it's easy to pull of the Hulk when the singer is 6'3" 340 .....

Should be fun - Best Costume gets a plasma TV

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Yes!! It'll be fun. This year I'm going to be a zombie.

Here's a pic of me from Halloween 2007. My bass dressed itself up too!
    l_1c4d46d598f425ad3cffca94a3166aeb.

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Damn! That's pretty serious ****! Tell the singer to dress up as the Statue of Liberty

7. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    Yeah, we're doing a gig on Halloween....

I think our theme is some kind of "magic show" or some thing like that.

Hopefully it will end early so I can make it to a party!! :D

8. double-muff

double-muff

May 5, 2007
    Iceland.
    mimes?

9. otto802

otto802

Feb 4, 2008
    Detroit
    oh yeah, but I play in a goth band called Leper. It would be criminal not to book us on Halloween.

10. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    [​IMG]

Halloween isn't such a big thing over here, but I'm playing a karaoke gig. It's a fun side project I've been running for a couple of years - they players are great, and you never know whats going to happen next. Dressing up to play is a new one though...

11. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    I am not in a Band curently,however - some friends asked me to fill in for their bassist -
    who is in Newyork until december - so I am stoked - I know most of their songs and the others I think I can wing it...???

12. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Okay, get this: My band is playing a costume party at a small bowling alley! We've played there once before and it's awesome. The place only has 8 lanes, but they put down a little stage that cover the middle 4 lanes and we play on top of those lanes! It's awesome! So we plan on dressing up and then we'll hopefully have plenty of people bowling on either side of us!

13. Ozonbass

Ozonbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Chicago
    Ah man, memories of Fireside Bowl in Chicago!

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Full costumes at a big house party for us.

15. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Full dress,6 acts, I'm in 4. in a 150 year old opera house out east. They'll be telling tales of this one for weeks..

16. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Halloween party gig for us...... yes in costume :). It's fun!

17. We're playing a special Halloween show that happens every year at Old Ironsides in Sacramento... A bunch of bands play short sets (3 songs) where the theme is "dead rock stars"... We already do a Joy Division cover, so that's 1; the band had an arrangement of a Ramones tune that sounded like the Ramones meets New Order before I and our current drummer joined, so both I and our current drummer need to learn that one for #2; and for #3 we are going to cover an early Pink Floyd tune that all the members need to learn except me (I've already figured out the bass part and the weird bowed solo part). I plan to get a Zoom H2 recorder on my next paycheck so I should be able to get a decent recording of our set.

One thing I am worried about is that apparently all bands are supposed to use the amps that will be provided. I have absolutely no idea what the bass amp will be or how it will sound. I'll be bringing my pedal board though for sure.

18. Here's ours at Macs in Lansing, MI:

19. We were supposed to play, but I'm not sure if we are anymore, our manager hasn't contacted us back

20. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Our band "Black Hills Gold" plays every year at a big costume party here in our town of McCleary, Wa. This year it is being sponsored by an Olympia, Wa. Relay For Life Team to raise $ for cancer research. Usually arouind 200 adults 21+ booze. We will do 42 songs, 4 sets of 10 + 2 encore songs. Every year we dress up and choose a new theme each year. Last year we were mafia gangsters from the old days. The year before we were all pirates. One year we were Batman characters. This year we are each going as "Rock stars". The Drummer is going as Alice Cooper. The 3 guitar players are going as Angus Young, SRV, and Rob Halpert. Our girl singer is going as Madonna, and I am going as Nikki Sixx. Always alot of fun cause everbody going always dresses up.