1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Playing a Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wizzkidder, Jun 18, 2007.

1. wizzkidder

wizzkidder

Jun 6, 2007
    I was checking out Rickenbacker's line of bass guitars and they look pretty slick. I haven't actually had the opportunity to play one yet so I was wondering if anyone out there owns one and has played one enough to give an honest reply about how they like it or dislike it. Weight, style, finish, etc. Also, if you can advise as to a few artist's songs that you know in which their recordings were made, using a Rickenbacker bass, that might be helpful as well. I can probably afford to get a 4003 which, I guess, is their "entry-level" model.

I play in a cover band. We play classic rock tunes. Not sure if a Rickenbacker would compliment that genre or not.

Thanks!

2. ster

ster Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Great bass. I had one and loved it. I was looking for a different sound, that's why I got rid of it. It would be perfect for classic rock.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I love my 4003. It plays very nicely and sounds awesome.

That being said, they are very polarizing. You either love them, or you hate them. You really want to try one out before you make the investment.

The Ric sound is the bass sound I attempt (and fail) to get out of any other bass I have ever played. To my ear, it is perfect. I play in a classic rock band and I get lots of positive feed back about my choice of instrument.

4. Charred

Charred

Sep 18, 2004
    lancaster, pa.
    Ric 4003 would be great for classic rock. Perhaps a Fender Precision would be even better for that genre. However having played MANY basses through many rigs, I settled on a Ric 4003 as my axe of choice because once I was able to dial in MY sound on a Ric, my P-basses and even my Sterling seemed anti-climatic. Listen to some EARLY RUSH (first 5 albums or so) for a good indication of an attainable Ric sound.
    They are very well crafted and balanced. The neck IMO is very fast and comfortable.The case is built like a tank. Try some DR Highbeams and a tube head or at least a sansamp SABBDI for added growl. Dig in hard and be amazed!
    But try before you buy because the Ric is a unique beast ergonomically and the pricetag is precious as the tone.

best Regards, Rich

5. I just got my Ric in 2 weeks ago

after years (seriously) of reading about them, looking at pictures, waiting waiting waiting.

All of the Rics I've played were fantastic. You can get the action incredibly low with almost no buzz. The neck is wide and flat, which I love. Flatter than a Pbass even. Sort of hard to compare to anything else though, you'll have to try it. The thing is built like a tank. Its the most solid feeling instrument I've ever laid hands on. A lot of higher end basses seem so thin and light that they almost feel like toys. A Ric is nothing like that. You do have to pay for that however, as the bass isnt exactly "Light". Its not like hanging bricks from your neck or anything, but I recomend a wide strap. Maybe padded.

The only thing I can say that I dont like about it is the square body edges. It starts to hurt my forearm after a long session, but its not terrible. It'll just take some getting used to.

As for sounds of a Ric? Rush is a good example. 'By-Tor and the Snow dog" is a perfect example of that clangy Ric sound with lots of highs. Geddy Lee or Chris Squire used that tone, and that seems to be what the Ric is most heavily associated with.

Dont let that make you think that its the only sound it can do though. My Ric has so much more lowend than my G&L. I could hardly believe it when I first plugged it in. Paul McCartney used his Ric with a lot more lows in it, without it being muddy. Check out the Beatles 'Hey Bulldog' for my favorite example of a Ric's tone. A very full round sound. Lots of lows, but with enough highs to cut through the mix perfectly. Thats what they mean when they say a bass has a pianolike tone.

Hope I didnt write too much. I just got the thing, so I'm still in that honeymoon phase where I can talk about the thing for hours.

6. wizzkidder

wizzkidder

Jun 6, 2007
    Charred, thanks for the feedback. When you say that it's unique, ergonomically, what do you mean? How's the neck? is it a thick neck or a slimmer C shape? I tend to look for something with a slimmer neck since I don't have long digits. How's the weight? Not to heavy?

7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

+1...that is really my only issue with the bass as well.

Overall, great bass...excellent fit and finish...great finger, slap and pick tones as well.

8. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I've wanted one for years. They're perfect for the classic rock sound. They've been used in a huge range of classic rock. Psychedelic, Glam, Punk, Hard rock, prog. It won't be a problem.

They have a incredibly comfy neck, I think. The only thing that bugs most people are the pickup surroundings and the square edges.

9. Yeah. I couldn't stand the pickup cover, so last night I took that off. And now I can't stand my fingers hitting the edges around the pickup (Even though I love being able to play there now)

I'm seriously considering one of these
    http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/RICBridgePUPlate.html

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Get a Rick, join the club! (check my sig :p)

11. propel

propel

May 10, 2007
    Montreal
    check out rush's cygnus X1 for, in my opinion, the best ric (or any bass) sound ever :bassist:

i'm ordering my ric next month from musician's friend, i can't wait any longer it's eating me up inside lol :spit:

RICKENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNBACKER :hyper:

12. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    As to the subjects question... no. I have a EBMM.

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    "The only thing I can say that I dont like about it is the square body edges. "

Get one w/o the binding. I have 3 Ric basses and only 1 has binding.
    stagebass_003.jpg

14. bigfiddle

bigfiddle

Aug 25, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I have 2 and I'm working on another.

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Sure! I love mine. :)

Ric002.gif

16. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Check out Alva's video of him playing Rush's YYZ. The Rick looks good, he plays great, and you can hear that Rick's Rick-y tone. :)

17. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I love that finish on your fireglo, Alvaro. What's up with the inconsistency with the fireglo finishes? some are whiter in the middle while others have a more natural fade. does it have something to do with vintage styling or..? yours looks a particularly deep shade, I like.

18. Ric pretty much says that every run they do is uniquie. So they'll actually tell customers 'This run of Fireglows is really dark' or the likes. It goes for pretty much all of the finishes. My MID seems to be darker than a lot I've seen.

19. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Look into a 4004 also. No binding and a nice, contoured body edge. The p/u's add a kick to the low end as well. Love 'em!

IMG_0240.gif

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021