1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone playing flatwounds on a modern US Fender Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flutophilus, Feb 5, 2021.

1. flutophilus

flutophilus

May 20, 2008
    Bedford, UK
    Does anyone have experience of flats on any of the current American Fender Precisions? I was looking at the review of the new Professional II on Youtube from Empire music and the owner, Anthony Pecora (love his reviews), was saying that the Pro II was more "vintage" than the Pro I. This got me thinking. I'm planning on getting a US made Precision (because I can) and I love Thomastik flats so I'm wondering if any of you could say whether they worked on the Performer, Pro or Original series.

I tried a Performer in the shop a year ago and found it very bright with the stock rounds on it - it's a pain that you can't hear what it sounds like with flats - but I felt that with flats it would have the sound I wanted. Anyone tried flats on the Performer or on the Pro or Original?

2. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    I have flats on my American Original 50's P bass. I use Labella 45 to 105 and they sound great. Flats can be put on anything. Its all about user preference. I like to try different things or go against popular opinion so I have put tapewounds on a Jazz bass and Flats on a Stingray. I also plan to put tapes on a stingray. I may like or i may hate it, the point is to try new things.

Worst case scenario is you put the old strings back on. Besides, Fender strings are not very good imo. So put some flats on and enjoy.

Sidenote - Joe is the owner, not Anthony

3. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I have D’addario Chromes on my 2008 American Series Precision. They sound great. I like the moderate amount of tension they have as well as the mids and amount of some highs they keep. Flats are great on a Jazz and would be awesome on a StingRay.

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    2021 Fender Mod Shop P. TI Jazz flats. Works for me. Great strings just work on a great bass. What’s the concern?
    image.jpg

5. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    And yeah, feel your pain. My P, like all Ps shipped with rounds and it didn’t really sound like a P to me until I strung the TI. But you know what a P sounds like.

6. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

I put a set of Dunlop flats on a AmPro p-bass, it sounded bitchin.

7. flutophilus

flutophilus

May 20, 2008
    Bedford, UK
    Thanks for the responses. Killing Floor my worry is that these are expensive instruments and when lockdown ends over here in the UK I'm going to try them out - but I won't be able to hear what they will sound like with flats on so I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought. But thinking about it, the thing to do would be to take along my own strings and ask the shop to string the basses. I guess if they want to make a sale it wouldn't be much to ask would it?

Killing Floor likes this.
  8. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Ha! Good idea. Doesn’t harm anything. First thing I’d do is toss off the factory strings anyway. Ask them.

9. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I’ve put flats on every P bass I’ve owned since 2007 or so, currently have a Pro and a 2014 American Standard.

I’ve avoided the Performer/Special/Highway One branch of models as I don’t like the greasebucket on a P bass. Give me a .047 or even a .1 cap with Alnico pickups and I’m good. Greasebucket might work well if you’re using a pick with rounds, but I don’t do that. But in my opinion, they always sound like a P, regardless of whether they have rounds or flats or greasebucket or a traditional P tone stack, because the P sound is primarily about the split coil pickups and where they’re placed in relation to the bridge. As long as that is standard, it’ll sound like a P, just variations of normal.

10. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I put TI Flats on my new old stock 2011 60th Anniversary Precision. Old school thump. Rotosound 66s are on my 1969 Telecaster. Rock My Plimsoul. I plan on buying an American Pro II Jazz this summer. It will likely be strung with TI Flats, to reduce the latent sizzle yet keep those mids punching through the mix.

11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Any P bass will sound better with flats, especially TI flats. Find the bass you like to play and put Ti's on. If you want still more vintage change the pickups.

I put Ti flats on my Mike Lull PJ5 and they turned it into the best sounding P bass I've picked up so far.

J_Bass likes this.
  12. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have a 2020 American Pro II P-Bass with GHS Precision Flats and it Has that sort of vintage Motown sound.

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've used either flats or tapewounds on every bass I've owned since the early '70s. String brands were Fender, D'Addario, Labella, Ernie Ball, and GHS and they've worked great on all of them. I wouldn't hesitate to try flats on any bass, however, I tried the TIs for a while but I didn't like their feel or tone.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  14. Dunlop flatwounds 45-105 on my, 2014 Am.Std Precision. :thumbsup:
    20200924_170311 (3).jpg

1bassplayinfool likes this.
  15. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Dunlop flats are the shizzle (as the kids say)

Shawn Luckman likes this.
  16. Indeed I think they feel & sound great :thumbsup:.

1bassplayinfool likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021