Anyone playing Pyramid Gold flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jul 19, 2005.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What basses are you using them on and did you find they were worth the price? i have never paid $70 for a set of strings before.Thanks
  2. I have Pyramid Golds on a Warwick Thumb NT Fretless 4 - they're very nice strings - they sound good, and they're soft on the hands and easy to play. I bought half-a-dozen sets on eBay from a chap in Hawaii - I think I payed between $35 and $40/set…

- Wil

PS: Come to think of it, I also put a set on my Rickenbacker 4003 Fretless also - same comments…
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I had a set. Put 'em on my Franken-P and kept them for about 5 months. At first, they seemed totally unmatched, with a very bright G string and a dull, thuddy E string. Turning down the tone knob helped a lot, since it dulled the brightness of the D and G, and didn't change the tone of the E much. After a while, they begin to mellow, the brash tones disappear, and they become pretty thumpy with a prominent midrange.

IMO, if you want to try a similar set of strings for less money, try GHS Precision flats, or Carvin flats (also made by GHS). My personal preference is for something a little livelier such as Ernie Ball flats or D'Addario Chromes.

As far as whether they're worth the money, they are if you like them. They do have a unique tone, and some people like the thuddiness of the E string. I don't.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It looks like the short scale strings are the only way to go on a violin bass with these strings.
  5. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I used 'em for a while a few years ago. As I recall, my problem with them was the very high tension of the G string. It was as though the G was from a heavier set.
  6. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I used Pyramid Gold flats on a 4003 '62 RI Ric I had. I thought it sounded rather sweet myself... and they lasted forever, without losing one bit of tone... but that's typical of flats, no? I just loved how they felt... but the only thing I had to compare to was some TI Flats that I had on another bass... hope this helped somehow.