Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Playing through the new ampeg porta bass gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 22, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I havent seen much reviews on these cabs or combos anyone here have any expirence with them?.

2. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I've made love to them, but other than that, I've heard good things about them....

3. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    There are numorous reviews on these amps. Seek more sight reviews such as Harmony Central. The Portabass 250 has mixed reviews with most leaning toward it having "no balls." But, Ampeg has come out with a much larger powered head for the series. I believe it was 800 watts. That, through the light weight cabs should handle any gig. But, I hope your wallet is fat. It won't be after buying one.........

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I'd like to see more reviews on the 2-12 cab.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've heard that Ampeg is either discontinuing or reworking the PortaBass series due to customer feedback, namely the "no balls" issue. It was a good idea on paper and perhaps even for a lower-volume coffeehouse/Jazz gig, but that's not Ampeg's bread-and-butter. Loud rock sounds are, and these certainly didn't deliver. Too many companies got on the Neo bandwagon with close to the same weight and much better tone.

Granted, I don't have any type of "official" word on the matter, but my local dealer has been blowing them out at near-cost prices. I've actually played a PB-800 & PB-212H several times with a variety of Godin A-series semihollow fretted and fretless basses and found the sound great for low-key coffeehouse-type gigs I was doing a few years back, and if I have the expendable cash I'd pick all of them up (Godin A5 fretted/fretless and the Ampeg gear) just to have for that situation, but not at the original pricing.

6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I walked into a music store yesterday and saw the Portabass 2x10 combo used for $699. My exact words were "does it have any balls"? The salespersaon's reply was short and succinct: "No". :eyebrow:

7. Having used the PB110 a few times, I thought it did pretty well for what it is. Seems to go pretty loud for a 200 w 1x10, didn't fart with my 5 string. However, I was using at a church gig, not a large or loud venue. But my wife complained about the bass being too loud even though I wasn't running through the house! :) I think it makes a super practice speaker, but the right kind of amp is needed. I was running an SWR that needed some EQ tweeking to find my sound, but SWR just isn't my sound anyway. BTW 20 lbs. was a big help for getting around with it.

Looking for an Eden now, can anyone help?

8. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Played the portabass 210 cab A/B'ed with an Avatar 210... The portabass was on e-bay the next day. It just was missing the mark. "No balls" is about the best explanation I've heard. The only time I've played the PB-250 it was through two 1x15 cabs and held up fairly well for a 250 watt amp. I have no complaints with the head.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I remember seeing they have a pretty large combo amp maybe 700 wts or something anyone try this?.

10. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I really like my PB250 head. Makes a good small amp when paired with one of my Bag End S-15Ds. I can even fit it in my gig bag!

11. Sometimes we tend to forget what we bought our equipment for... I bought my Portabass head for small coffe house venues and for my upright. It works absolutely great for that. I have even forgotten what I bought it for myself at times and used it for pubs and small dances. I use an Ampeg PB210h with it and it's a stellar performer. No it doesn't keep up to my Ashdown 500, but it's not supposed to. The Portabass stuff is built really well. For the price of this stuff, you can't go wrong... again depending on what you want it for. :p