Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone plays guitar too?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by barroso, Sep 14, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm startin playing guitar too and i'd like to know if there is someone out there who plays guitar too.
    the pleasure to be newbie again!!!

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I switched to guitar for a while after moving to Miami. I didn't have anyone to play with so I thought it might be a good idea to start fresh.

I had fun. Got nice liverpool model rickenbacker a-la john lennon. I was caught jamming with a guy in my master's program who said we should get a drummer and bassist and start a band.

So I went back to bass.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I play guitar. and write half of the songs for our band. But i swtiched to bass because it just "felt" like more my instrument. i love the mellowness of the bass.

4. I have played guitar for years and I just recently migrated to bass. I have not given up the guitar by any means, but I wanted to expand my horizons with other stringed instruments and the bass hooked me. I would consider myself a bassist now although my prowess on guitar is much greater simply because of the years invested. I don't think I'll ever play guitar in a show setting again because I'm having so much more fun with the bass, it is definitely my weapon of choice these days.:D

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I play guitar in one of my bands I also write the material and sing :eek:

I like playing guitar on my terms ie my lines drive the band and are written around specific sounds. I am much more fluent on the bass and can play any style (badly)

I play guitar but I am a bassplayer if you see the difference.

6. I play flamenco guitar, a bit of classical, and pick on my Strat every so often.

[​IMG]

7. Hey X, what kinda strat do you have?

8. A modified Squier that some fella who owed me some money gave me about a year ago. I had my setup-man file the frets down and tweak it. It does the job. I also have a Digitech RP 100 which came with it.

9. Cool! I can't resist asking when I see someone who has a strat, just my nature.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    "Playing" is too strong of an adjective, but I've been trying to learn fingerstyle acoustic for the last year or so. I also have a kit-built Tele that I need to finish so I can start learning slide.

11. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I can "play" chords on an acoustic well enough to lead singing at church. That would be the only reason why I would play guitar.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I played guitar for about 6 months, and I still can pick one up. I'm by no means any good at all, but I can make something that doesn't sound like a cat drowning...

And stratfreak...it was a Fat Strat Squire :)

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For someone who never practices guitar, I can play it pretty good. I know a lot of chords, and can even play enough lead to hack off most guitarists.:)

14. Yeah, my dad taught me to play guitar when I was 10, and I've been playing ever since.

15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I play acoustic guitar a lot around the house and I've played and sang at parties, a wedding, a funeral, campfires, etc. I'm not real good, but I know a lot of chords, can fingerpick a little, and can play some lead. I have a Wshburn acoustic and a heavily-modded Fender Mustang. I played rhythm guitar at a reggae festival recently (had to share the bass chair with another guy-I hated that!), and the guitar felt incredibly wimpy. I felt naked up there without my ThunderRod!!

16. I play both classical and 7-string guitars on the side along with many other instruments.

17. Yep I play guitar. Last saturday i got me a brand new Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster. I also own a Ibanez RG120. I play guitar in a punk band and a metal band. I also sing in the punk band.

18. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I too play guitar. I've got a Fender acoustic (don't know the model, shows how much I care.) I also write music on it. I don't/can't write complete songs on bass (I do write my own lines,) instead I do it on guitar, I hear melody better on it, and makes it easier to teach it to guitarists.

I have lucked out in a way, my brother/apartment-mate is a guitarist and a singer, so I can play with his guitars as well (an American Tele, and a Gibson J-150 acoustic.) I'm unlucky as well because he's both a guitarist and a singer.:D

19. I play guitar too, play for four years now. Have a black American standard '96 with mapple fretboard, also have a Hamer prototype and a S&P acoustic. Still play, had some jamming on guitar yesterday, but for gigs and bands I'm mostly a bassplayer, simply love the sound , the feel and the effect of bass. I seem to here the bass frequencies much better too. On guitar I always had problems to find the lines (notes) of a song, on bass I can find them by ear almost everytime.
    Funny thing is though that I can't play bluess on a bass (with the guitarist of our band it's the other way around so we switch sometimes if we have the bleussy feeling), while I'm pretty good on it at guitar and that I can't play metal and most other heavy rock styles on guitar and that is something that comes easy on a bass, on both instuments I love to funk and groove.

Yvette

20. Yeah, I play guitar too.
    I also usually prefer to write my bass lines after having some guitar to work with, because it just makes it that much easier to come up with a line - but hey, I don't know theory yet, so when I learn it that could well change. :D

BUT, when I write my own guitar lines, I find it to be a lot harder to come up with a bass line that's more than just roots. Could it be because I'm still thinking from the perspective of bass, and thus write much more rhythmic guitar parts? Or...did that just not make any sense? :p