Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone pog'ed yet?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tony moore, Dec 12, 2004.

1. has anyone tried the electro harmonix pog (polyphonic octave generator) yet?

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Me! I like it. It tracks flawlessly as fast (pretty fast) as I can play. No problem with glisses, chords, low notes (I don't have a low B, though); I haven't yet been able to find a way to get it to glitch. The high notes, by themselves, have what sounds like a steel guitar tone to them. With the detuning, it's <i>kind of</i> like an organ when you play chords, although you can also achieve a chorus. (The detuning effect doesn't really work with single notes.) Most fun I've ever gotten out of an octave device.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've tried it. It's ok, but rather limited for a $800 pedal. Yeah, it tracks well, and sound alright, but it's far too expensive. I'd have liked to see some real time control on it for that price.

4. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Mine was $300. Yours was too much.

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh, wait. I'm thinking of the price on the 16 second delay. My bad. Still seems like pricing is a little odd on these guys. EH is advertising the retail price on the POG at around $600, yet everybody is selling the, for around half that. Same thing with the delay; $800 yet most sell them for around $400. Weird.

Both of those pedals really aren't blowing me away for the price. The POG is fun for making your bass sound like a 12 string, but I can't seem to get it doing much more than that.

6. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Yes. The 16-second delay is pretty criminally priced.

YMMV, of course, but I've really used my POG a lot. We're kind of a "sound exploration" trio (and there's no piano or guitar to take up bandwidth), and I use it three or four times a night. There's the twelve string thing, but then there's the upper octave(s) with the through cut out, the sub- alone for the synth bass thing, the through + sub for classic octave playing, the organ/chorus thing. With my Boomerang, I've been using the POG to layer in (with annoying adjustments of the sliders -- those, I don't like so much) to the general stew of whatever I've looped. Works for me. Sounds really good.

Of course, it's likely that I'll be on to something else in a year or two.

7. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    please do go into more detail on this one new pedal please. its been on my check out list for a while, but every shop i go to either doesn't carry it or is too loud with other noise that you couldn't hear what it does anyway (nor have the time to really explore it). as someone like you, yellow i'm constantly exploring sounds (just picked up the new moogerfooger MuRF - words can't describe the full sonic control created with this pedal...). i run a fairly elaborate setup of nice little toys being fed into 2 electrix repeaters in my live setup and need some sort of octave for certain directions that i'd like to hear my bass go.

www.asteriskband.com

8. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I wonder what else I could say? Ask something.

It tracks great down to E. Better than anything I've had (EBS, Boss, Arion). I mostly play fretless, and it has no trouble with the glisses and microtones. The upper octaves really bring out the worst in your fretless intonation, by the way. Chords don't seem to bother it either -- do you know another octave device that can follow glissing chords?

You've got a bunch of sliders, which makes for kind of an annoying interface (I'd prefer pots and on/off switches).

You can boost or cut your through signal -- necessary feature -- and add 1 octave down, 1 up, or two up, or any mixture. The two upper octaves have "detuned" versions which can make a quasi-chorus (like a leslie organ) when you play chords, but, oddly enough, don't seem to do much when you play single notes.

The upper octaves alone sound like a steel guitar to me. The lower octave alone like a synth. When the through is prominent, it tends to characterize the sound. When it's out, you hear the steel guitar, synth, or organ sounds clearly.

I'd do some samples, but it's Christmas and I have kids. Maybe next month.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've gotten a chance to spend a little more time with the one we have at work, and I'm considering getting one. Granted, I think it's too expensive for what it is, but what it does it does well. You can make any bass sound like a 12 string, which is a blast. It doesn't sound overly digital, like a Whammy pedal does (albeit wonderfully). You can do crazy fast tapping chords and it tracks very well. I can only imagine what this would sound like with a fuzz pedal after it.

Gah! My pedal gas is back in full effect! Not good!

10. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I had a question on this pedal:
    Are you able to cut the low octave and original note of what your playing and just isolate the octave or two octave up sounds?

I may need this to simulate guitar for recording...

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes you can. But don't expect it to sound like a guitar.