Anyone practice with long distance band members?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Aug 26, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well the band I'm in has been without our singer for about 4 months. He moved to Arizona we live in Minnesota.
    We clicked really well with him and the band clicks really well together. We are all good friends, and understand each others quirks.

We've tried other singers, and we've been practicing with a guy for the last few months. He's ok, but his personality doesnt mesh at all. He wants to be a rock star, is immature, chases the girls, gets DUI's, DWI's, OUI's. We're all married, happy playing small local clubs or ones within driving distance etc.

Anyway our old singer has flown up to do a couple shows in the past. My question is is this a viable idea?? Has anyone else done it??

We're looking at doing mostly covers, with a few originals. we want to play once every 6-8 weeks for a Fri-Sat gig.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't see how that's gonna work, man!

If your old singer was/is that into doing something with you, why did he move in the fisrt place?
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well he is making $150,00 more a year.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    150$ ? Onehundred and fifty dollars?

This must be a typo, or I´m reading it wrong...Or you put the comma in the wrong place. Who on earth moves to another state for 150$ more per year.
  6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Oopps $150,000 I forgot a zero. Onehundred fifty thousand dollars.
  7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ahh.. that´s better :)
  8. Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    My band all go to different universities, so we dont get to play together much durring the semester, mainly just on breaks and in the summer. we keep in touch via email, regular mail and phone, send eachother music that we have written, so that we can all learn the song, so we know what to do when we do get a chance to play it together...
    I believe that this is what Opeth do... Mike Akerfeldt writes the music and sends demos to the other members, and they record with little or no rehersal time prior to going into the studio.
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If I was rakin' in that kind of jing, I'd say, "**** playing in a band!"

;) :D

I guess with that kind of cash flow, he doesn't need to worry about flying back and forth to play your gigs for $500, eh? That was my concern -- it would cost more for him to fly back and forth than it was worth.
  10. odie

odie Supporting Member

well we all pretty much just play for fun. Take a road trip somewhere new, get way from the kids and get a motel/hotel room with a pool etc. Only play at places that are fun hassle free.

well it would cost anywhere from $250-$450. Play 2 nights of shows. Maybe break even on the air fare.

Also his family is here, alon with his wifes family.
  11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Anyone else with experience in this area?
  12. Hey Odie, where in Minnesota are you located? Where does your band play, when they do play?
  13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Band is called Crawlspace. original huh ;)

We play up in Hudson, WI. Northstar in Rochester.
    ,Faribault, Mankato.

We live in Rochester. Next show?? Who knows it may not be until November at the pace we're at with looking for a new singer.

Who you playing with?
  14. No one right now. I just play at church now and again. I think my group in on permanent hiatus. Hey, that could be our new name if we get back together. The bass player is in Montana, I'm not sure where the keyboard player is, the guitar player/lead singer/song writer is playing as a side-man in another band. Looks pretty grim if you ask me.

Oh well, it gives me time to work on learning the bass.
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have not experienced it yet.

But I am planning on starting a group where myself and the other guys will mostly corrispond by email, and practice by sending MP3s back and forth.
  16. posted by Gabu

Does that mean that the person with the fastest computer would be rushing?
  17. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hmm? I don't know what you mean by rushing... But so far, that would be me! :p
  18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    The drummer in my little jam band went to school in Mass (I live in CT), so we'd have to wait about two months inbetween each time we got to play. Unfortunately, he just moved to Japan (bit of a commute) this past week to work as a translator, so we probably won't see him for a few years.

What we're going to try is sending song ideas back and forth to him starting with music my guitarist and I write, and see how that works. We record our CDs on a program called Cubase that allows for a lot of overdubbing and such, so we're going to have a bit of a musical pen-pal relationship. Hopefully it'll work out well, because the three of us have a really good bond musically.
  19. odie

odie Supporting Member

Diff - I hear ya. To me it is so much work dealing with people who arent your friends, being band mates is cool. But if your close and stuff its even more fun, and easier to deal with.

Rickbass- I got an email from that link you sent me here it is:

"Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your patience regarding an answer to your PHONE
    JAM questions.

Yes, you can use the PJ to rehearse with someone miles and
    miles away. We have not run into any latency issues,
    especially for domestic calls.

You do not need any special gear, just your instrument, a
    standard phone line (no DSL or digital line necessary) and a
    playback system - whether it's your home stereo unit or a PA
    system, they'll all work.

Basically you just plug in and call someone up that has one
    as well. We'll be providing a headset with the units so that
    you can initiate your call to the other party before
    switching into "rehearsal conference" mode. Just like a
    phone but the audio will all come through your stereo unit or
    PA system, whichever you have plugged in.

The cost is still uncertain at this time, for we have changed
    the casing unit to metal (instead of plastic) and the
    manufacturers are a little slow in response. We anticipate
    the product to be available around the Christmas Season.

Please be patient, we now have your e-mail address and will
    let you know what the cost is and when it's on the market.

Thank you so much for your interest. We're looking forward
    to doing business with you.

Kind regards,"
  20. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Interesting, odie. The customer is ahead of the product development-power curve.

Knowing nothing about what that tech entails, I'd be tempted to say to them, "Well, here's what it's worth to me --- $xxx.xx"