1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone prefer the ag500 over db750?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Let It Fall, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I know it's a rare occation but does anyone prefer the ag500? I just got my db750 and wasn't quite blown away to say...

2. Well the AG500 weighs less ;-)
    I like mine!

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They are significantly different amps. Do you have both? If you like the clean, tight, solid-state sound, then you're going to like the AG500 better. Warm, furry sound? DB750. It's a matter of taste. It took me a while to get used to the DB750 after playing Eden for years, but I like it now. On the other hand, the AG500 plays more to "my tone."

4. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I loved the tone at the perfect bass but something just ain't working out for me, but this is only with a 1 hour review if it and my new db212. I think I know what the problem is and will check that before I try the ag500

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Buy one of each and mix them like Justin Meldal-Johnsen.

6. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    If you don't like the tone of the 750 right away, I doubt the amp's for you. Or, at least, the converse was true for me: I liked the 750 right away, which is why I dumped my other stuff for it, and knew it was for me. It just sounded so right compared to the other amps I've tried.

7. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I just played it I love it at lower volumes, It just today when I was doing my normal jam with a cd thing, it just didn't sound right.. It sounded... I can't explain it, but there is hope, and Id rather blame the cab than the head..

8. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    It's possible that the DB750 just isn't for you. I had a similar experience with that same amplifier. Tried several different cabs, and just could never really get the sound I was after. I ended up going with the Ampeg SVT CL, got tired of the weight, and am now running a pre/power amp setup.

9. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ok I played with it again today, getting better! I found it sounds much better when bass mids and treble are at 1oclock..

Other than that I can't seem to get a super clean sound from it, it sounds good in a band situation though..

10. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I would attribute this more towards the DB cab... IMO, it's a rock cab and sound great in a louder band setting and you'll never have trouble hearing yourself. But if you want clean then the GS series might be better suited for you... As I have found out for myself.

11. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Try experimenting with some different tubes in the V1 Gain socket. There is extensive information on this subject here on TB.
    I put a NOS Telefunken Smooth Black Plate 12ax7 in mine and it (to my ear) helped tighten up the bottom end bloom and make the top end more 'shimmery', but mostly balanced the sound through the amp's tonal spectrum. Some guys say they don't hear any difference... so I guess it could be other things in the signal chain like a bass and finally the cab. I'm on my 3rd Db750...

I can tell you that IMO, the DB750 is a bit 'cab' particular. It sounds great with most all the Bergantino cabs, and many love it with the Aggie cabs which I've not tried. I didn't like it with the Epifani 410 I had.

edit: here are some links
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569265&highlight=telefunken
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299474&highlight=tube+swap

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The trouble is the cab. Try it with a GS410 and you'll never go back to sheep.

13. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I own both and while the AG500 is one of the best amps I've ever played through, the DB750 is THE best I've used.

I feel and I have been really happy using the Ag500 for a long time, specially for it's great sound AND lower weight than the DB750.

But, it took me 3 years to save up for my DB750 and I vowed I will never get rid of it. It's just a special amp that when compared to the 70lbs+ tube amp, seem not that heavy.

I think the Ag500 can make most people extremely happy, but I also think that if you then try a DB750 it will spoil you.

About a month ago I swapped the stock tubes in my DB750 for JJ and TungSols (kept the TungSols), and it made my fav amp ever, even better, cleaner and tigher in the low end.

My $0.02

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I traded a DB750 for my AG500 and don't regret it at all. When paired with my GS412 it's loud enough for any gig, I love the clear punchy tone in the kind of stuff I'm doing nowadays, and since I was using an Agro anyways, it's a much nicer package to haul around.