Anyone put a BAII on an Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by scottz0369, Jul 31, 2005.

1. scottz0369

Mar 1, 2005
    Oahu, Hawaii
    So I have a Fender Aerodyne Jazz, and I have a BAII bridge that I want to put on it. The body is routed with a pocket that recesses the stock bridge about a millimeter. The BAII has a larger footprint than the stock bridge.
    How do I make this work? The way I see it, my options are:
    1-slap the BAII over the recess and shim the neck-I'm concerned the gap between the bottom of the bridge may make the wood more likely to strip-I could be wrong.
    2-stick with stock bridge - I don't like the option too much.
    3-route the recess to fit the BAII - I like this option even less than #2.
    4-take it to a pro. I don't like this one either because I like to know my gear and the best way to do that for me is to work on it myself. Besides, this can't be rocket science.....

So #1 is my personal favorite choice unless anyone has a different experience with this sort of thing. Is there anything I'm missing or really need to know/watch out for before starting?
    Suggestions appreciated!

Psalm 150
  2. Hey guys, I've got an "out of the box" solution but it's sorta radical. You still wanna hear it? This will only work if the recess is more of a sideways slot across the arch of the body.

What about shortening the lenght of the BA a little to fit in the slot? You could literally cut off a small portion of the front of the chassis - enough to let it drop into the recess. Finishing it off is no prob. You could either polish it back up and then clear coat it or paint the raw metal surface silver. The base should be easily cut and then filed smooth.
  3. No, that's the beauty of it - you only trim the front edge - the least important piece of the whole bridge. If you are intonating, you are moving the saddles away from the front edge. The back edge and subsequent reference for the screw holes stays the same.